Pixar Bringing Back Childhoods with Fresh Sequels

Micahrae Osteria, News Editor

Despite the numerous stages that come with growing out of adolescence and leaving behind the teen years, there’s still going to be a part of you that holds onto your childhood for as long as it can. Whether you hold onto to your favorite baby embroidered blanket, or those incredibly fluffy stuffed animals you got for your third birthday, there’s always going to be a part of you that stills stays young, childish and bright-eyed. Just like that blanket and stuffed animal are part of your childhood and found their way into your hearts —  so do movies.

Kung Fu Panda 3 came out on January 29, 2016, as a follow up film to the original movie Kung Fu Panda that came out in 2008. “I don’t want to give anything anyway for any future viewers, but Po’s main goal in the movie was to find his ‘chi’ in order to defeat a jade warrior,” said Sophomore Joan Arboleda.With a big, fluffy panda as its main character, it’s no surprise that this movie just recently had a third sequel released. “The humor and the graphics were a good addition to the movie to keep it still appealing to those who are fans of the original Kung Fu Panda movie,” said Arboleda. “I really like this movie series, and I think it’s great that they just released a third movie,” said Freshman Meriel Labaco (imdb.com).

The Incredibles 2 is  set to be released on June 21, 2019, as a sequel to the original movie The Incredibles, released in 2004. To have a well-liked family movie like The Incredibles  gain a sequel after roughly 15 years, it’s no  surprise that some students at UC High are pumped for the awaited movie. “I’ve been waiting for this sequel for years; it’s been around 15 years and I can’t wait for it. Especially with the new technology now-a-days for CGI, I feel like it’ll be a good film,” said Senior Eric Fernandez (imdb.com).

Finding Dory is set to be released on June 17, 2016, as a sequel to the original movie Finding Nemo, released in 2003. With the sequel movie planning to have voice actors from the first movie, such as Stars Ellen DeGeneres (the voice of Dory) and Albert Brooks (the voice of Marlin), many students have shown their enthusiasm about the long-awaited sequel (imdb.com).

Ice Age: Collision Course is being released on July 22, 2016, as the fifth installment to the original Ice Age movie that came out in 2002. Despite this movie coming out around 14 years ago, the movie series is still going strong, and with this being their fifth installment, some have voiced their concerns over whether this will be the last movie in the series. “It’ll be fun to watch, because it’s really hard to keep up a movie series, especially with a series like Ice Age where you need to keep the audience interested,” said Freshman Arynn Agustino (imdb.com).

Despite the majority of students anticipating these sequels to their childhood movies, some have expressed their  concern about how these films will play out. “As much as I like that they’re coming out with sequels, I feel like it will never be able to top the original movie,” said Arboleda.

All in all, these films are a continuation of our childhoods, and are going to be films that we can enjoy in the coming months and years. Although they’ll be childhood sequel movies for us, they’ll be new exciting films for the next generation to enjoy. Whether you’re a ‘90s kid, or part of the new generation, hopefully these sequels will find their way into your hearts, just as the originals did.