Bunnies Don’t Lay Eggs, and other Conundrums

Karyssa Newsome, Features Editor

Easter is one of those holidays that, at a glance, seems normal enough, right? But, when taking a closer look, students find themselves wondering just what brought about the many strange traditions of Easter. Just why is a bunny leaving candy filled eggs around people’s yards anyways?

One modern Easter character that is kind of strange is the Easter Bunny. This festive rodent hops around leaving candy filled eggs for children to find. That’s fine and all, but many UC High students wonder just where the story of the Easter Bunny comes from. The story actually originates from some strange folklore.

According to a web article, the story of the Easter Bunny aligns with the story of Eostre, a pagan goddess. When Eostre found a bird dying in the cold, she turned it into a rabbit so that its fur would bring it warmth. It worked, and the bird-turned-bunny lived, but there was one strange occurrence. The rabbit still laid eggs (realsimple.com). Suddenly the significance of chocolate bunnies and marshmallow chicks makes a lot more sense, doesn’t it?

Speaking of those scrumptious Easter treats, the question of how those were even popularized arises. How did these yummy treats end up in our baskets? Peeps, chocolate bunnies, candy eggs and jelly beans are all staple Easter basket stuffers. In the 1920s, companies began making marshmallows shaped like baby chicks and bunnies to go along with the springtime theme. Jelly beans became a popular eastern treat in the 1890s when people realized their shape favored that of an egg (farmflavor.com).  “My favorite Easter candy would have to be those little chocolate eggs you get from See’s Candy,” said Senior Marina Sweetnam. With Easter being the first major candy-collecting holiday after Halloween, many people place great importance on the festive sweets.

Another Easter tradition that many students may have partaken in is the practice of painting eggs. According to a web article, the bird turned rabbit would decorate the eggs it laid and then give them as a gift to the goddess who saved it (realsimple.com). This may not be why we decorate eggs today, but at the end of the day, it’s all in good fun.

Come Easter, many UC High students will be enjoying the holiday with their closest friends and family. Now, when you’re sitting around the dinner table, feasting on Easter dinner and munching on candy from colorful plastic eggs, you can spring some interesting and view-altering facts on your loved ones.