Senior Activities Plans Updated for COVID-19

Cassandra Bristol, Staff Writer

As the COVID-19 pandemic places many important school events into jeopardy, UC High’s School Site Governance Team (SSGT) and other members of the UC High community held a Zoom meeting on January 11 to discuss and vote on a plan for the Class of 2021 graduation, while others planned for the possibility of Grad Night activities.

Many of these plans are still tentative and rely on future decisions by the SSGT, PTSA, and other school groups.

Many of these plans are still tentative and rely on future decisions by the SSGT, PTSA, and other school groups. According to Staff Member Gail Hall, dates and definitive plans could change depending on the spread of COVID-19 by the end of the year and other factors.

Teacher and Chairperson of the SSGT Stephanie Conrad said, “SSGT is happy to have had such a thoughtful collaboration between staff, students and family members to create an exciting new plan for the graduating class of 2021. Governance voted unanimously to move graduation to 6 p.m. so participants could both avoid the heat of the midday sun and flow directly into a newly envisioned Grad Night party on campus.”

In an email sent out to UC High staff regarding the plan for the SSGT meeting, Principal Jeff Olivero mentioned a graduation afterparty. “The idea is to have a post graduation party up in the stadium after the event with a band, food, etc… we still have to order the sound system, chairs, graduation programs, and security for this event.”

The yearly Senior Grad Night activity, which is normally at Disneyland, has been moved to Universal Studios since Disney cancelled all senior events. According to the Disney Youth website, “The recently released state guidelines related to theme parks put us in limbo regarding a reopening timeline in the foreseeable future, and therefore, we are unable to move forward with Grad Night 2021” (disneyyouth.com).

In regards to the specifics of the Universal Studios night, Hall said, “We have a reservation for Friday, May 28. We can enter the park at 3 p.m. and stay till 2 a.m. So plan to leave UC around 12 noon.” There will be a red carpet event, access to new rides and attractions, food, and gifts.

Hall continued, “We are going with a 77 dollar ticket price which does not include the food voucher and gift. With the bus price, the student will pay 130 dollars.” She said that much of this information is still tentative, to be decided by future PTSA meetings.