Water Polo Opens Doors for Sanders

Gabriella Proa, Staff Writer

lete who aspires to go far in life through her love for water polo. “My dad was a coach for water polo, and ever since I was little, he has really inspired me to play. I have just really liked playing ever since I tried it,” she said. Sanders’s dad has been influential in her passion for water polo.

Sanders has been playing water polo since she was around the age of six. Not only does she play for UC High, but she also plays for a club team.

Sanders enjoys being a team captain for the the UC High water polo team. “It’s good, because you can help lead other girls and be a role model,” said Sanders. Sanders is very experienced in water polo and is a driven player, which makes her a wise choice for a captain.

Her dedication to water polo is evident. “There’s always stuff to improve on. You can always work harder and get better,” said Sanders. “I really like playing on a team. It’s fun, and you get to relate to other people through the sport.”

Sanders has received scholarship offers from San Diego State University, University of California (UC) Davis and UC Berkeley. She was unsure about whether she’d like UC Berkeley until she visited the campus. “I didn’t really know anything about the school until I visited it, and then I loved it,” she said. Sanders committed to play water polo at UC Berkeley, and will continue to pursue her passion for water polo at the collegiate level starting this fall.