Centurion Achievements Throughout the 2022-23 Spring Season

Photo Courtesy of Arielle Brotman

Swimmers Junior Tatiana Dorrestein, Molly Ryan, and Sophia Knowles, along with Senior Kathryn Hazle and Junior Corrie Dudley with their CIF trophy (left to right).

Isabella Escamilla and Judy Scott, Sports Editors

University City High had a remarkable spring sports season this year, with many teams achieving recognition, and even some individual players.

Swim

Swim competed in League Finals on April 28 with many athletes qualifying for CIFs from both the boys and girls teams in both relays and individual events. Junior Corrie Dudley said, “We all placed really well in CIFs with our girls team finishing second just behind Mount Carmel. Our guys team scored really well, placing ninth in our section and division. Overall, we placed fourth in our section with combined points from both teams.” She added, “Two of our girls relays qualified for the state championship that took place at Clovis West High School in Fresno. Those athletes included Kathryn Hazle, who swam the 200 IM (individual medley) placing second in the state, and swam the 500 freestyle and became a state champion. I swam the 50 free as an individual, and our relays, which included Kathryn Hazle, Sophia Knowles, and Clara Jarvis, and myself, placed nineteenth in the state for our 400 freestyle relay.”

Boys Tennis

Greatly improving over the past year, the team finished the season with a record of 13 wins and 5 losses. Freshman Oskar Rouse won the Eastern League Singles Tournament. Sophomores Howard Truei and Peter Darnaud also qualified for the latter tournament, making UC High the only school to have more than two players competing.

Girls Lacrosse

Girls lacrosse had another exceptional season, becoming undefeated Eastern League Champions for Division 2 for the second year in a row and the third time in the sport’s history here at UC High. They headed into CIFs with an overall record of 16 wins and 4 losses. The season ended with an intense game against Our Lady of Peace (OLP) in the CIF quarterfinals. In both halves the team battled to tie the score. “When we started coming back it made me super hyped up, especially when Lilly [Goalie, Senior Lillian Haley] made a fantastic save at the very end of the second half,” said Junior Eliza Hudson. The game went into overtime as they were tied up 14-14. The winner was determined by a golden goal–whoever scored first in three minutes of overtime. OLP scored the first goal and advanced to the next round of CIFs. Junior Addison Stoppenhagen said, “I’m just really proud of our team and how far we made it. Every year we just get better and better.”

Badminton

UC High’s Coed Badminton Team placed third during their CIF game against Canyon Hills. We ended the season with a record of 11-2 and placed first in tournaments. Even though the season is over we ended strong and now have eight players going to regionals,” said Junior Kevin Mai. During their season, Senior Ashton Prieto won the men’s singles championship, as well as the mixed doubles  championship with his teammate Senior Duyen Pham during the Western League Finals. 

Girls Beach Volleyball

The Girls Beach Volleyball Team has pushed through their season with a record of 9 wins and 1 loss, making them fourth overall in the San Diego Section. After making it to CIFs, the Girls Beach Volleyball Team placed third. Coming in short at a tough match against the La Jolla High Vikings. Junior Ashley Garcia said, “The season this year was really great. After weather delays we picked it up and almost went undefeated. We made it to semifinals in CIFs and we almost won but we lost our last game. I am really proud of our team this year and how far we went and I’m excited for next year.”

Baseball

While being ranked number fourteen in Division III City League, the UC High’s Boys Baseball Team has a record of 12-13-1 (wins, losses, ties), making them also thirteenth overall in the San Diego Section. “Although our record is not what we hoped for and anticipated, this year has definitely been a step in the right direction,” said Junior Mateo Torres Chapa.