Track and Field has Sights Set on League Championship

photo courtesy of Tyson McRath

UC Track Team posing for a team photo after victory.

Jordan McRath, Sports Editor

The UC High Track and Field Team is ready to reach the top as they start off their season with blazing effort and determination.

The COVID-19 pandemic adversely impacted numerous sports, but hit track and field particularly hard. “It was tough because all of the sports were going around at the same time,” said Coach John Hutsel. “Because of that, our team was nearly twenty percent of the athletes it used to be, and the year before we didn’t even have a season. In a way, it’s almost like starting all over again as the seniors only had one season and the other athletes really hadn’t had any track before.”

Despite the setbacks, everyone is eager to put their foot in the ring and work towards victory. “I think this season is gonna go great,” said Sophomore Micheal Wagner. “We have a lot of talent on our team and with that, I’m looking forward to racing with such great runners by my side,” he said.

Junior Tyson McRath said, “I predict we’re gonna have a couple medals on our necks. Our team is filled with good athletes and most of the newcomers this season are really impressive. This can create longevity and success for this season, so I’m certain that we’re going to decimate the opposition.”

Junior Nae Townsend said, “I think that it’s going to be great this year.” She continued, “I’ve learned a lot from last year, and I am ready to put in the work to make it happen. I’m super excited for what this season has to offer me.”

“I predict that we will get a lot better and do better than how we’ve previously been. They [the athletes] will no doubt improve a lot, both on and off the field. They’ll definitely give whoever they go up against a run for their money. So many things have happened like injuries and so on, but the kids just keep pushing themselves and that’s why I think we’ll do great,” said Hutsel.

In order to fulfill their potential, the team will need to stay determined. “First, you gotta be determined or else you’re getting nowhere,” Hutsel stated. “You have to be able to focus on being the best you can be. Some of my best achievers are not the top athletes. Seeing them personally grow and become even better people is the biggest accomplishment and most gratifying part of my job. You need that self confidence and that dedication to put time and effort into being the best. Believing in yourself and saying you can before you can, having trust in what we’re trying to do in the long term rather than short term is really what’s needed to succeed in track and field.”

“To be good at the sport you don’t really need to be that gifted,” said Wagner. “Mentally speaking, you need to have the capability to commit to improving with every race and overall just getting better with the sport,” he added.

And of course, just like all sports, there will always be trials and tribulations. Wagner said, “When you do track and field, or any sport, sometimes it gets hectic and you don’t have time to do the things that you’d like to do. You need to be ready to commit to being at school for longer than you’d want to. Sometimes you don’t even have the ability to enjoy free time.”