Boys Lacrosse Ready To Take League Title

photo courtesy of Kendra Littlewood

The UC Boys Lacrosse Team raise their sticks to get pumped to finish their game.

Salma Rojas, Staff Writer

The UC High Boys Lacrosse Team is gearing up and looking in ahead on their journey to repeat as League Champions.

Last year, the Boys Lacrosse Team won the League Championship for the very first time. Guided by Coaches Joe Satriano, CK Littlewood, and Sean Dunne, there is no doubt that the Boys Lacrosse Team will thrive once again (uchscenturions.com).

Having high hopes and goals for the season, Senior Captain Jaden Laborete and Senior Goalie Jia Lee shared that the team is working hard to win another League Championship. Jaden Laborete said, “Constant practice brings more improvement for the team as a whole.” Lee added, “We need to improve in a ton of different ways. We plan to clean up our offense and improve our communication on defense. More specifically, we are working on keeping the ball moving and isolating a single shooter to a single defender. We also plan to practice keeping shooters far out, therefore providing the goalie with a better chance of making a save.”

Being captain, Jaden Laborete shared the significant influence he has on his fellow teammates: “I keep everyone on task, making sure everyone understands the concept of what we are doing and building communication. My most important responsibility is to help those who are struggling to develop a certain skill.”

Lee added, “Being a goalie comes with critical responsibilities, such as leading the defense and being able to make the right call. I also need to keep the defense updated so that we can make saves easier and as often as possible.”

Senior Captain Robert Helmuth said, “As a senior, I try to lead by example. I encourage my teammates to work hard and try my best to lead practice.” Senior Joshua Laborete agreed saying, “As a senior, I try to teach underclassmen the ropes of playing such a demanding sport. We are role models and their actions are based on us.”

Lee stated, “The influence I have on the team is mostly through impacting morale. As long as I feel and play like the game is winnable, I feel that my team will try their hardest and play as hard as they can.”

There are many benefits to lacrosse. According to a lacrosse website, some include teaching discipline, coordination, and helping improve cardiovascular endurance. Lee said, “Being a goalie taught me how to focus more, but I also learned how to act. Even if a shot that hits my body hurts a lot, I can look like it was nothing and shake it off. This is important because it keeps the team’s morale high, even though I am in excruciating pain” (laxcamps.com).

Jaden Laborete said, “The lacrosse program overall helped me become a better person. It helped improve our overall chemistry as a team which is important in games. Building such chemistry helps create strong bonds with my teammates that I can use whether I am on the field or off of it.”

Lee stated, “I am looking forward to having another great season and cherishing  every moment of it.” With an upcoming game on March 3 at 5:00 pm at Hilltop High School, the Boy’s Lacrosse Team can’t wait to try and achieve their goals.