Scurr Looks Poised to Continue Success at Luther College

Dean Ormsby, Opinions Editor

If there is one thing that all successful athletes have in common, it’s an inspiring story that begins with hard work and dedication. Senior Gavin Scurr is just at the beginning of his story, but has already accomplished great things. After having an extremely successful high school baseball career, Scurr is committed to continuing his athletic and academic career at Luther College in Decorah, Iowa. 

Scurr made the most of the two and a half seasons of high school baseball he was able to play at UC High before Covid-19 restricted high school sports. He played on varsity as a sophomore, and posted an on-base percentage of .320 in his junior year, according to a sports statistics website (maxpreps.com).

Not only did he hit well, but as a catcher, he played stellar defense. “Catchers should be in charge on the field. They are the only defensive players that can see everyone at all times and play every pitch,” said UC High Head Coach Richard Frink. Frink continued, “Gavin embraces [being in charge] and thrives in the heat of the game.”

Not only are catchers some of the most important players on the field, but they are often the unspoken leader of the team. They are able to guide the other defenders to success because of their unique positioning. Scurr does an exemplary job of leading his teammates. “He’s always out here picking us up when we’re feeling down, reminding us to give it our all every game, and just putting us in the best position to succeed,” said close friend and teammate Senior Juan Torres Chapa.

While he showed massive potential in several other sports, Scurr knew that baseball was the sport for him and that he wanted to play on the next level. “I love the camaraderie and bond you develop with each player. I understand that every sport allows you to bond with others; however, in my experience baseball teams mesh so well together and I wanted that bond and brotherhood with a college team.” 

Scurr’s amazing performance on the field allowed him to have many options when it came time to deciding where he would be attending college, but Luther College stood out above the rest for Scurr. “I decided that Luther College was the right school for me because of the high academic standard that they hold, as well as the amazing baseball program that is available. The coaching staff is dedicated to developing the players not only in baseball, but in life as well,” said Scurr.

Scurr is eager to get on the field and has high aspirations for his first year on the college baseball field. “I really want to be a starter as a freshman. To accomplish my goal, I need to work hard and put in a lot of effort. I also want to be a leader on the team. I’m the type of person that loves to lead and push everyone towards success. At the end of the day, I just want to have a good time, play baseball, and who knows, maybe I get drafted someday.”

It seems clear that Scurr is destined for greatness. His stellar performance on the field, and equally impressive academic capabilities are clear signs of the hard work he put in on a daily basis. “Gavin is the epitome of a UC student-athlete. Gavin works extremely hard in the classroom and on the baseball field. He was a below average sized kid coming in as a ninth grader but his hard work, commitment, defense, and determined hitting have allowed him to develop into a great player. I am so proud of his work ethic and it has paid off with the college commitment,” beamed Frink. 

On the college field and in the classroom, Scurr will most definitely achieve his goals with his exemplary work ethic. There is no doubt that with a trait like that, he has a bright future ahead of him.