Girl Basketball Stays Ready for Potential Season

The+2019+Girls+Basketball+Team+huddles+before+a+game+

Courtesy of Kilee Horner

The 2019 Girls Basketball Team huddles before a game

Zachary Grover, Sports Editor

The UC High Girls Basketball Team is eager and hopeful to get back on the court for a potential season this year to improve and build on progress made last year.

Assuming that a season takes place, the Lady Cents will look to improve upon last year’s fourth place finish in the Eastern League, according to a high school sports statistics website (maxpreps.com). Co-Captain Senior Kilee Horner said that the team would benefit from improved ball handling skills. “[Ball handling] is something we all need to work on and to improve in that area of our game [as a team].”

Co-Captain Senior Jayden Berke worked hard over the off-season and improved on her communication “Personally, I’ve just tried to work on staying positive and to improve my leadership skills so if we are to have a season, I’m able to lead the team in the most efficient way possible,” she shared.

The Centurions were able to finish their season last year just before school, school athletics, and life in general came to a grinding halt in mid-March. Even so, players are anxiously waiting to get back to the hardwood to reunite with their teammates as soon as COVID-19 protocols allow. Berke has been doing her best to stay ready should the opportunity to get back on the court present itself. “This is a really hard time for everyone since everything is so uncertain,” Berke said. “I think it’s most important to be positive and to stay in shape.”

Even though some Centurion players are able to practice individually dribbling, working out, and shooting safely during the current COVID-19 pandemic, many still miss the team dynamic and being around other players. Horner expressed that she has missed the coaching aspect of the sport. “Although we could shoot around during the pandemic, I think it is very different than actually practicing with our teammates. I feel that our team really needs our coaches to help push and guide us. I am confident that if we do have a season, we can get back into the swing of things quickly.”

Junior Alyssa Parinas shared her desire to get back on the court, possibly with fans in the stands. “Big home games are my favorite, and it’s very exciting when we draw in a crowd to cheer us on. Just the thought of having a regular season again makes me look forward to going back to school,” she said.

Horner spoke about her hope that a season will in fact take place. “I am definitely looking forward to a possible season,” she said, “Especially as a senior. I really want to have one last season and the opportunity to have senior night with my teammates. I’m most looking forward to getting back with my girls and working hard toward a League title,” she stated.