High School Sports’ Possible Return

Jack O'Donnell, News Editor

On August 14, CIF San Diego Section released a revised master schedule for the possible return of high school sports during the 2020-2021 school year.
Under this plan, the earliest start date for high school sports would be December 2020. Sports would be split into two seasons, fall and spring, instead of the usual three-season schedule. Practice for the majority of sports in the Fall Season would begin on December 12, and practice for the majority of sports in the Spring Season would start on March 13. Tentative playoff start dates are March for the Fall Season, and late May to early June for the Spring Season (cifsds.org).
Fall sports that are set for a return are: badminton, traditional competitive cheer, cross country, field hockey, football, gymnastics, boys and girls volleyball, boys and girls water polo, and roller hockey. Spring sports are: baseball, boys and girls basketball, competitive sport cheer, boys and girls golf, boys and girls lacrosse, boys and girls soccer, softball, swimming and diving, Boys and girls tennis, track and field, and boys and girls wrestling. The tentative master schedule for sports can be found on the UCHS website as well as the CIF San Diego Section website (cifsds.org).
The UC High Athletics website emphasizes the importance of athletic clearance if school sports resume. Athletes “…will not be allowed to try-out, practice, or participate until all steps have been completed,” the website states (uchscenturions.com).
Over five months have passed since the Spring Season was officially cancelled by CIF last school year. According to the San Diego Union Tribune, the ten section commissioners cancelled the season on April 3 due to the coronavirus pandemic, three weeks after the last day of in-person schooling on March 13 (sandiegouniontribune.com).
According to NBC San Diego, the CIF San Diego Section Commissioner Joe Heinz said, “The number one priority for us, even in these unprecedented times, was to offer a full season of sport.” Heinz also stated, that even if the schedule is approved and sports can return in December, that individual schools and districts can opt out (nbcsandiego.com).
Senior James Engebretson is a baseball player who had his last season cut short. He shared, “Missing out on the season was a pretty big disappointment. I was really excited about our team last year, and a lot of seniors got their last chance taken away. I’m still hopeful about sports returning.” Senior Catcher Gavin Scurr added, “When the season got put on hold last year, it felt like it came out of nowhere. But, I used the disappointment as motivation to get better for next year. I like our team’s chances this year; we’ve got a lot of talent.”