Editorial: Support From Student Section Makes Impact

Pavle Ristic, Sports Editor

It is one thing to just go to high school, but as everyone always says, “You are making memories that will last you a lifetime.” Going to school events such as basketball or football games is a perfect example; cheering for your friends while side by side with close peers is an experience that you will never forget. Even if you don’t play a sport, you can be a part of the team’s, and ultimately the school’s success.

High school sports are a chance for the community to come together, especially when a team is winning. There is a joy to be had when you pack a set of bleachers and hear the roar of the crowd for every little action. Last year, on our Basketball Team’s senior night, the packed stands made an incredible Ben Bruce shot that much better and propelled him to be featured on ESPN. The Football Team also brings a great amount of spirit to the school. You can always tell when it’s a game day, as it is all anyone talks about. No matter the sport you’re supporting, a full student section makes an already enjoyable experience all the better. 

Student supporters can make a difference that can be measured. Through every level of sports, players always talk about the advantage created by playing at home and having the support of your fans. There have even been studies depicting the influence fans can have over a sports match. A prime example of this is Arizona State University’s “Curtain of Distraction,” which appears during their basketball games. Students place a curtain under the opposing teams basket and open it to reveal a wide array of ridiculous and outlandish distractions while the away team attempts to shoot. As per Fox Sports, the curtain was able to reduce opponents shooting percentage by almost ten percent (foxsports.com). Ten percent is a game-changing difference made by people who aren’t even playing in the game. 

A high school student section may never achieve this level of influence, but we are able to make a similar impact. Senior Jalen Le Fear touched on how big an impact a student section can make, “When you’re on the court and you’ve just played hard all game, hearing the crowd root you on makes a big difference. It really is a game changer.” Support on this scale allows you to push that little bit harder to get to that next level. When players play for something greater than themselves, and with the support of the rest of their school, it leads to more than just a win or loss.

Being able to walk through the stands and see all of your friends and classmates gives a great sense of pride to any student-athlete. The camaraderie which results from watching a game together unites the student body. At any given time you will be surrounded by people you would never think to spend time with. Supporting your school is a common goal that everyone can and should get behind. And who knows, it might help get a win too.