Boys Lacrosse Works Hard for a More Productive Year

Audrey Continelli, Staff Writer

The UC High Varsity Boys Lacrosse Team has set up for a good run, following their 11-9 season from last year. With the loss of many seniors, the team will have to rebuild, but with the help of new incoming players, they should stand strong.

“The best part of being on the UC High Lacrosse Team is the chill vibes and the laid back environment. We all have each other’s backs. We are lacrosse brothers for life,” said Senior Co-Captain Jake Parco.

According to Senior Co-Captain Trent Bassler, being a part of the UC High Lacrosse Team makes him feel like he is a part of something great. Out of all the lacrosse programs Bassler has played for, he admits that the program at UC High feels the most like family. “It creates bonds that can last for a lifetime,” added Bassler.

However, Senior Captain Brennen Beith believes that team chemistry could be improved upon even more.“I believe the team has tons of individual talent, it’s just a matter of bringing the team together and building the chemistry to play well together is where we struggle.”

“Compared to last year, our offense is a lot slower since we lost a good amount of seniors, but we also got a good number of new players so we should have a good line up in the following years,” said Bassler.

“We lost a lot of talented seniors last year so there is definitely a lot of opportunity for younger players to step up and fight for playing time,” said Parco. Parco hopes the team will achieve their goal of competing at a high level, but also to help develop the newer players.

Beith said, “I feel my role on the team is to set an example for the incoming freshmen. I want to leave my mark on the program so I want the younger kids to follow my example to better the team.”

Bassler explained that their biggest rival is San Diego High, however their toughest matchup this season will be against Point Loma High. Despite tough competition, the team is hopeful to play well this season.

“We are proud to represent the UC High community and are looking forward to a productive season,” said Coach Joe Satriano.

The team works hard at practice to prepare themselves for the challenging competitors they will be expected to play. Satriano explained, “Practices are desingned to develop skills, and also to teach concepts. Because this is a skill sport, it is gratifying to see the progress and development of boys from freshmen to seniors, not only in the sport, but in strong social and leadership skills as well.”

Beith said, “Practices are the best part

of the game. The coaches are encouraging and helpful. They are there for us and they really care for the well-being of the team.”

“The coaches are the best. They have the best interest of each player in mind and make it fun while putting the best team possible on the field,” said Parco. Bassler noted that the coaches are almost like another teammate: “The coaches take input and advice from players on what they see on the field, helping them make adjustments that they need to make.”

Come support the UC High Boys Lacrosse team at UC High tonight at 6 p.m., against Santana High.