Girls Lacrosse Applies and Advances Skills in Order to Achieve Goals

Kyla Esquivel

Girls Lacrosse competes against Academy of Our Lady of Peace.

Emma Truchan, Staff Writer

The UC High Girls Lacrosse Team started off their season ready to play hard.

The team began with a win against their rivals, La Jolla Country Day. The game went into overtime, but UC High came out victorious with an ending score of 7-6, the final point scored by Sophomore Riley Reinhardt. “It was a very intense and competitive game,” said Senior Co-Captain Salma Iraqi. “All of the players and coaches were so stressed. We kept pushing for our best and just kept playing hard,” she continued.

“The UC High’s Boys Lacrosse Team has been around for a long time, but the girls lacrosse program is relatively new to this school, like many schools in our league, such as Hoover and Lincoln High School. It feels like a fun competition between our school’s two teams now,” said Iraqi.

The team set a list of goals for this season: beat La Jolla Country Day, become league champions, and qualify for CIF. With one of the goals already accomplished, the team is confident that they will complete the remaining two.

“I think that winning league is very plausible for our team, because we play many of the other schools that have newer teams. The only game that I think was a big challenge for us was our […] game against OLP [Our Lady of Peace Academy]. But if we just keep playing hard and giving it our all, I’m positive that we can achieve that goal,” said Senior Co-Captain Mikayla Garcia.

Freshman Forward Mieke Van Daelen said, “My individual goal for this season is to really get into the sport and better myself as a player so I can contribute to the entire team’s goals.”

“Last season, everyone was new to the sport. We were building a solid foundation so we could perform the basic skills well. This year we want to apply those skills, and advance them to better our overall play,” said Iraqi.

“I think we’re going to make a mark on UC High in our spirit for the school and lacrosse, and by doing our best in all of our games,” commented Van Daelen.

Head Coach Brianna Wray predicts a season of more wins than losses. “We have a good mix of personalities on the team. The team consists of all returners and one freshman, all of which are very strong players. I think this season is going to go very well for us,” said Wray.