Softball Looks to Advance in CIF

Alex Volk, Staff Writer

This year, UC High’s Softball Team has been working hard to achieve success as the end of the season sneaks up. It is an extremely competitive team this year, and the players are all looking forward to performing well at CIF.

Varsity Coach Mike Roberts is proud of his “young” team, as the players are still improving to reach their goals. “This year’s team is made up of five freshmen, six sophomores, one junior and three seniors. I would call us a young and up-and-coming team, and we have high expectations of getting better,” said Roberts.

To reach this year’s goals, the team has been focusing on improving its hitting through extra practice. “My first goal always is to have a winning record and to make play-offs. We…[have been] working towards winning more league games by holding extra voluntary hitting practice on Saturdays,” explained Roberts.

Compared to last year, Roberts sees a marked improvement in the team and its practice conditions this year. “Our new home field has made a big difference, and we added another coach, which helps give more individual time to our catchers and pitchers. Our team chemistry is better, and we are always working on skills to improve our play,” said Roberts.  The team is working really well together and has a strong sense of perseverance. Roberts saw this in his favorite game this season against Steele Canyon High. “So far, my favorite game has been against Steele Canyon [High]… They are a ranked team, [and] we were losing but came back from six runs down to win.  The girls really worked well together. They never gave up,” said Roberts.

Catcher Sabrina Schnaubelt notices the high level of talent on this team this year and is looking for a place in league finals as well as CIF. “We are a newer team and have been improving. We have a lot of talent, but we have to get used to each other to reach our full potential,” said Schnaubelt.

First Base Adara Benz was, and still is, excited for this team’s potential. “I’m really proud of the team so far. We have a lot of underclassmen on the team, and they do such a great job with all the changes the team has been through,” said Benz. Benz aspires for excellence in league and CIF. “For the end of the season, I definitely hope we get into CIFs and play for as long as we can,” said Benz.

Right Fielder Sofia Neri recognizes this team’s intensity and strives to perform her best. “The team is a very competitive, very supportive group of girls who are a lot of fun to be around. We push each other to become the best we can be,” said Neri.

The underclassmen of this team are having a great time. Pitcher Karli Ramsey said, “It is a really fun team to be on, and I’m glad to be a part of it.”