Lacrosse Prepares for Exciting Season

Carissa Guzman

Junior Bryce Todd and Sophomore Ryan Reddish scrimmage at a recent practice to prepare for the upcoming season this spring.

Alex Volk, Staff Writer

This spring, the fast moving sport of lacrosse will be starting up again and players, along with the spectators,  are excited for the 2016 season. Last year, the team went 9-8, and it’s looking to become improved for this upcoming season, as it is now a part of a higher division.

Assistant Coach CK Littlewood is looking forward to starting up the season in a new and higher ranked division. “Our biggest goal is to make it to playoffs in this new division,” said Littlewood. New implements will be applied to  the team to reach this goal. “Conditioning is going to be a big factor this year, as well as getting a strong defense together, our offense is already strong,” explained Littlewood.

New UC High players are joining this year, and Littlewood really looks forward to having them. “We are excited to have a new crop of players and a lot of them are younger student-athletes, so we really look forward to building a cohesive team that meshes well together,” said Littlewood.

Varsity Midfielder Gavin Rasmussen can’t wait for this upcoming season. “Lacrosse is not only a competitive and accelerating sport, but it’s just simply fun to play,” explained Rasmussen. Rasmussen is looking forward to how the 2016 team will play this year. “We did well last year, but we still need some improvements. We were one win  away from competing in CIF, and hopefully this year we can actually make it,” said  Rasmussen.

Many of the players know there is room for improvement, and hopefully this will be the year they make it far into CIF playoffs.Varsity Midfielder Hunter Littlewood is also looking for the same goal of making it to CIF, and he knows exactly what needs to be improved for the team.

“Having more organized practices along with increase stick skills and effective communication will bring us to the top,” explained Littlewood. His goal for the team this year is to be a strong team and keep the sport fun for everyone. Along with having goals for the team, Littlewood also has his own personal goals he would like to accomplish. “Personally, this year my goal is to become the top scorer for our team,” explained Littlewood.

The sport is attracting many new players and it really emphasizes the fun of lacrosse. New to the sport, Junior Kent Pinz, is excited for this upcoming season. “I can’t wait to get this season started because even though I have never played, I know it’s going to be fun,” explained Pinz. The environment of the sport is what Pinz really looks forward to. “The team is filled with friends who all have a good time together playing a sport that they love,” said Pinz. With all the new players and excitement amongst the team and coaches, Lacrosse should have a solid season this year.