Kegler Takes on Role of Captain with Pride

Gabriella Proa, Staff Writer

“Freshman year, I had a role model who said I would be a good wrestler, so I tried it and sort of followed him,” said Wrestling Captain James Kegler. Kegler has been wrestling at UC High for four years now, and is a captain of the team.

Kegler is a hard working, dedicated captain who works hard for his wrestling team. “Honestly, there’s a lot of stress and pressure to being captain, because you have to organize everything, make sure everyone is good to go, understand people’s strengths and weaknesses and work on those weaknesses in practice,” Kegler. Kegler along with being a main wrestler for the team also watches out for his teammates and helps them improve their performances mentally and physically.

Kegler has been focusing on improving his “top and bottom” wrestling skills and  is striving to achieve his personal goals this year. “I want to place top two in CIF, place at masters and then go to state this year,” he said.

One of his teammates, Junior Kody Ventura said, “JJ (Kegler) is a really intelligent captain.”

Although he isn’t committed to playing on a team in college, Kegler does plan on joining a Wrestling Team if the school he ends up attending offers one. Whatever college he chooses, Kegler’s determination should help him succeed in the future both on and off the wrestling mat in the future.