Girls Soccer Achieves Success Through Teamwork

Kayli Sandoval

Junior Emelia Owen sprints past an imposing defender from La Jolla High.

Max Schaldach, Staff Writer

The UC High Girls Soccer Team, led by Coach Jason Donlon, looks to build on its accomplishments from last year as it competes with its experienced team of returning varsity athletes.

The Centurions have a record of four wins, two loses and four ties this year. Junior Ashlee Watkins leads the team in scoring with three goals this season. Underclassmen have also been getting involved in scoring this year, as Freshmen Erin Gillum and Camille Balagtas have both scored goals this season.

“Beating Cathedral [Catholic High] again would be great; that’s definitely one of our goals this year,” said Captain Danielle Henry, a senior. UC High pulled off an amazing upset against Cathedral Catholic High last year by beating the school during the regular season. La Jolla High is also a rival. “We’d love to beat La Jolla [High] and Cathedral [Catholic High] this year,” said Senior Jessica Hammond. Henry is excited to help lead her team to their ultimate goal, to bring home a CIF championship.

Henry looks forward to competing with her team, which she said is like a second family to her. “The team has great chemistry, and the coach really cares about us. He always asks how our day is, and is there for us outside of just soccer,” said Henry. “Our coach has helped us a lot. He’s so supportive and is like a second dad to me,” said Hammond.

The players are exhibiting strong coordination and teamwork. “Our team is young. We did lose a few really talented seniors last year, but our younger players have picked up the slack. I trust all of them on the field,” said Hammond. The trust between players on the team has been a major factor to its success this season.

“I’m really happy to be a part of this team. The older, more experienced, girls are all very encouraging and helpful to the underclassmen like myself,” said Sophomore Nicole Cowell.

Cowell played on the Varsity Team last year, which she said helped her feel much more confident when playing against tougher competition this year. “I’ve met so many new friends through soccer, and I’m really glad I’ve been able to have these experiences,” said Cowell. Cowell has been playing soccer for years, and said nothing compares to the competition of high school soccer. “It’s not the same as club ball, which I’ve played most of my life. I like it better because I feel like the team is more of a family,” she said.

Soccer has also been a part of Henry’s life for as long as she can remember. She said that she has played all four years of her high school career, and has enjoyed every minute of it. Henry was also elected Team Captain this year, which has been a goal of hers since freshman year.

The team is focused on one goal, bringing home a CIF championship, and all of the players are confident in their abilities to achieve success.