UC High Water Polo Team Aims for Victory at CIF

Haley Ragan

Senior Noah Graciani attempts to smash the ball past his opponent.

Anthony Garbino, Sports Editor

Water Polo is a sport that involves a lot of skill, training and effort for all players in the water. This year’s UC High Boys Water Polo Team has mastered all of aspects as they advance through their games this season and potentially even into CIF.

This year’s team is especially strong because it comprises many returning players from last year. As a result, the team members have had chemistry and gotten along from the beginning of the season, enabling them to focus on the play. “I feel like this year is going to be great. Our team is usually good, but this year, we are going to go far,” said Senior Julio Torres.

The team consists of seniors and two juniors, which means that the physically biggest and strongest students available are playing. “The strength of our team this year is our seniors; they are really strong. We have two juniors on our team, and they are some of our strongest players. With the team that we have, I have a good feeling that we will get to CIF,” said Captain Cole Kammerer.

Though the captains believe that they have a very skilled team this year, they also believe that they can improve even more. “We are strong; the only thing that we need to work on is our drive defense, which is one of our bigger areas, as well as our six-on-five offense. It’s more about just fine-tuning what we need to work on, rather than improving [with major changes]. We are already great; all around, it’s just some polishing [that is needed],” said Kammerer.

The team has a strong belief that it has a chance to qualify for and win CIF, as it feels it is the best team overall in its league. The work that the players have put in is something that can’t be matched, and it takes a lot of skills and training to learn and adapt. “To get to CIF, the only thing we can do is just keep working and improving our skills. Because our team is as skilled as it is, the main thing that we need to do to get to CIF is to just stay focused and keep a level head when playing. The more fluidly we play as a team, the better we will play overall, which is our ticket into CIF for sure,” said Captain Frank Puente.

The Boys Water Polo Team is aiming a shot towards its goal of a CIF win. Confidence and skill will hopefully yield them success.