Point: Are Action Movies the Best that Cinema Has to Offer?

Katelyn Timple, News Editor

Ever since records were kept, there has been documentation showing imagination creating many iconic stories and films. In this age of media, creativity may have leveled out because of the pseudo-limitation of existing concept parameters, but naturally, what has been created is categorized into genres. With the genre progression and increasing interest in fiction and media, a debate about the superior genre arises. The action genre has proven time and time again that it will win the favor of the majority and earn its place as the best genre. 

Setting aside the fact that the action genre is among the highest grossing genres (47.93 billion dollars as of May 2021), action movies are a unique way of presenting social and moral dilemmas through plot (statista.com). Action movies usually spotlight a protagonist with a well-meaning cause, whether it be saving others and righting injustices or fighting crime and apprehending greedy villains. In more recent movies, this plot has changed in favor of telling the other side of the story or bringing to light realistic consequences people would expect of actions made by a character, which is something some people may not have thought about previously. The fact that the story isn’t so straightforward — many other factors to the story, introduction of “anti-hero” and “anti-villain,” consequences of maybe well-intended actions, ethical dilemmas (like the famous trolley problem) — is what makes this genre so exceptional. An example is the well-known Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War which displays the significant consequences the protagonists face because of good intentions (the ability to protect people) that caused unintended tragedies. Connection to society and its base complications with points from both sides can prompt independent thought — something to think about.

The basis of the appeal of an action movie (most times) is the escape from reality into an adrenaline-filled fantasy from the perspective of the characters. For most people, the adrenaline rush is a big part of why they like action. Most people would agree that less-engaging movies are not well-liked. “Action is unexpected and exciting. It really gets your heart racing,” said Junior Liel Warschaw. “It keeps you engaged and you always want to know what happens next,” said Sophomore Tayler Nguyen. And at times like these, who wouldn’t want to have a temporary distraction from reality? Characters and talented actors definitely add to this experience, evoking interest and emotion from the audience with well executed in-character acting. It can be said that Heath Ledger as the Joker in The Dark Knight (2008) personified the character on the brink of insanity eerily well, almost dedicating his life and psyche to the role. Ledger’s acting was terrifying and realistic, making his name almost synonymous with the Joker. His commitment is exactly what made his character stand out and surprise audiences, keeping them invested and making the experience that much more realistic  (inverse.com).

Action also offers a complex story that can include aspects of other genres that can add to thematic ideas. Action stories can include sci-fi or action can add to a sci-fi story; action can include adventure, drama, and it can include romance. Subgenres like these can add to the story, adding depth and possibility for theme and character development. This can be seen in the recently released movie Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021). The most recent movie in the Spider-Man franchise continues the theme “with great power comes great responsibility” and presents the conflict of a long unresolved problem in the hero world: leading two lives. Putting people in danger because of what heroes do has been one of the dilemmas from the beginning and isn’t new to Marvel. And the newest Spider-Man movie wasn’t an exception, showcasing multiple outcomes of the dilemma. This only adds to the recurring theme in the Marvel Cinematic Universe franchise and builds on (Tom Holland’s) Spider-Man’s development.

Some people may say that action is overdone and unrealistic (with the fiction and CGI), but the amount of CGI allows for more freedom with cinematic storytelling. Modern technology has made higher quality imaging possible and this has allowed for different ideas and a more realistic interaction with action and its frames. Especially with action fantasy and sci-fi movies — the execution of some concepts would be impractical without the technology to make the scenarios possible. Avatar (2009) is an example of an action sci-fi that wouldn’t have been feasible without the CGI. “Avatar utilizes 60 percent CGI imagery, with a majority of the CG character animation filmed with revolutionary new motion-capture techniques using live actors. Director James Cameron provided an amazing display of cinematic effect where the interplay between what is real and what is digital is virtually indistinguishable, all thanks to CGI technologies” (filmstudies2270.wordpress.com). 

The action genre has proved itself to be the best genre repeatedly throughout cinematic history. Action offers a way to present social and moral conflicts through plot, provoking independent thought. The excitement also offers an escape into an adrenaline rush advanced with quality acting. The possibilities from subgenres in action only furthers the action genre, providing depth and more thematic choice. CGI has only progressed the genre, making more creative ideas possible and realistic.