APES is a Crucial Class in Current Changing Climate

Maya Poblete, Staff Writer

Recent natural disasters, like the California wildfires and Hurricane Dorian, have caught the attention of people worldwide. However, most aren’t aware of how or why they are occurring. AP Environmental Science (APES) helps inform students about the physical, chemical, and biological components of the planet and how it affects the environment. Along with AP Biology, AP Physics, and AP Chemistry, APES is offered as a third or fourth-year science course that students at UC High may take to fulfill their A-G requirements. Although it is not currently mandatory, APES is a class more students should take, because it will help them become more aware of the environment and how humans are impacting it.

Although it is taught at a college freshman level, many students who have taken it at UC High have claimed that APES is not too easy nor is it too difficult. The course involves various types of hands-on experiments and projects alongside the standard lectures and handouts, which help students understand the important material. “Despite being taught at a college freshman level, many of my students have gotten good grades in my class,” explained APES Teacher Sean Stevenson.

Scientists have proven that climate change is in fact real and that it is a rapidly increasing global issue. Different variables contribute to the increase in climate change, one of which is human impacts (edf.org). By taking environmental science, students become more informed about the science behind nature and how it relates to current events. “So far, APES has really helped me realize how much all the different ecosystems are depleting because humans are destroying the planet by doing things like cutting down trees and polluting the water and air,” said Senior Chloe Adolfo.

Becoming more aware of the environment and the effects we have on it can help shape each individual’s environmental impact on the planet. “It really changed my perspective and helped me become more aware of my actions and how we impact the planet,” continued Adolfo. After learning about how certain actions negatively affect the earth, it is common for people to feel motivated in resolving those issues. For example, according to the Union of Concerned Scientists, more carbon-efficient cars are being manufactured and sold to help prevent ozone depletion (ucsusa.org).

Overall, more students should take APES to become better educated on how the environment functions. Educating students about the environment will not only make them more informed but it will also help encourage teens to take an initiative on trying to save our planet and making it a better place for future generations.