Column 8

Kennedy Wilson, Editor-In-Chief

I’ve learned more from my teachers in the last two semesters than I have in the last twelve years of school. Maybe I just started listening, or maybe they’re actually onto something. Whatever it is, I know that there are a few things I will be carrying with me long after the four years I spent in this place are gone.

Lately, I have made more of a conscious effort to listen to what my teachers are saying (even when I would much rather be sleeping), and I discovered that they have some mesmerizing stories. From Teacher Michael Jason’s life advice kicking off writer’s workshop to Coach Gimi McCarthy telling you in ceramics how to not mess up your entire life, I’ve learned this year that a lot of the lessons that are taught in high school aren’t the ones outlined in textbooks.

I think that as much as teachers learn so many of our different personality traits, we also learn theirs. Walking into McCarthy’s class is a guaranteed lesson starting with, “I’m sorry, I thought you wanted to be good,” and ending somewhere with a sarcastic, “So you want to just be mediocre, like everyone else?” Through all the words that make your blood boil and skin thicker, you realize that McCarthy is actually trying to make you better, and even if he has a funny way of showing it, he really does teach his seniors (and anyone else lucky enough to get his class) that being extraordinary is something we should strive for in ceramics, in running and in life.  My favorite saying by him goes, “It’s not going to get worse than it is,” and even if that’s too good to be true, for now, it’s fine by me.

Then there’s Journalism Teacher Susan Bristol– ah yes, the teacher that has taught me that I am capable of anything I set my mind to, which means I probably have my work cut out for me. Bristol has really taught me how to be proud of what I do and who I am, and I will forever be grateful for everything she has taught me. One afternoon, she told my class, “I will stand behind you completely, but you have to be willing to stand in front of your work first,” and ever since then, I have realized it’s amazing having someone in your corner, but only if you’re willing to throw a few punches for yourself first.

And Jason, oh Jason, maybe one day I’ll write a book about all the things I‘ve learned in that creative writing class.  Jason probably has enough life advice and stories to teach an entire class about, from rants about how “Good art is born out of insecurities,” to my personal favorite, “Your parents aren’t going to live your life, and I’m not going to live your life; I have too many papers to grade.” And if you ever need someone to tell you the truth about how life is hard, but it’s worth it in the end, Jason will remind you that things are difficult, and you will go through a thousand and one challenges, but you will survive. Which brings me to something he said a few months ago that has stuck with me since: “I hope as you grow older and get beaten down by the man, you don’t lose some of your idiosyncrasies.” So whether you’ve had these teachers or you have some you adore even more, maybe listening to them will actually teach you a few things every now and then.

So if I can leave you with one thing, it’d be this: You are never going to know everything you need to know.  And for what it’s worth, I think that’s a good thing. Maybe you don’t need to have all the answers, but that doesn’t mean you should ever stop looking for them. Listen to your teachers and try to make the most of the time you have left in these hallways; soon you’ll be old and gray and saying words like, “When I was your age….”  So do a few remarkable things before your actions become just stories in notebook pages and Tuesday morning lectures.