2022 Signals Fiftieth Anniversary and Advancement of Title Nine

Allison Martin, Staff Writer

June 2022 commemorates the 50 year anniversary of Title IX becoming legislation in the United States, paving the way for gender equality in sports, and then education.

According to a technological solutions company, “Title IX legislation eliminates sex-based discrimination to ensure all students, both male and female, have access and equality in education. It offers a wide range of protections from athletics and admission to housing and sexual harassment” (vectorsolutions.com).

CBS Sports Reporter Shanna McCarrison said, “Title IX created a more equal playing field for male and female athletes, something that did not exist before. It finally allowed women to get the recognition they deserved” (cbssports.com).

According to CBS Sports, Title IX states that, “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance” (cbssports.com).

According to CBS Sports, “Scholarships must be given to male and female athletes proportional to their participation; they must work to expand the ‘underrepresented sex’ and treat all genders equally” (cbssports.com).

“Title IX prohibits sex discrimination in the education programs and activities of entities that receive federal financial assistance. These programs and activities include ‘all of the operations of a college, university, or other postsecondary institution, or a public system of higher education,’” according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (hhs.gov).

CBS Sports states that, “If an institution does not follow Title IX, the law allows for the termination of financial assistance from federal funding” (cbssports.com).

According to the National Federation of State High School Associations, “Title IX also protects students by prohibiting sexual harassment and sexual violence in educational institutions, both of which are manifestations of gender discrimination, by requiring schools to implement strategies to safeguard students from such behavior perpetrated by school personnel or peers and requiring schools to effectively address such misconduct when it occurs on campus or in connection with any educational or extracurricular program” (nfhs.org).

According to McCarrison, Title IX has helped “In a society with a long history of sexism, advances of this magnitude for gender equality are crucial in beginning to reverse deeply-embedded sexism” (cbssports.com).

According to the National Collegiate Athletic Association, “The Association will host programs, tributes and other activities through spring 2023, alongside member schools who also are recognizing the anniversary.  The efforts will culminate at the 2023 Women’s Final Four in Dallas, where Divisions I, II, and III will hold their basketball championships” (ncaa.com).

Freshman Charlotte Brophy said, “I personally think that the anniversary of Title IX is extremely important because it is the anniversary of when gender equality was finally established in the athletic world, and it’s something people should know about.”

UC High has a Non-Discriminatory Statement that goes in every school publication which states that San Diego Unified School District educational programs do not discriminate on the basis of a variety of factors. Head Counselor Kelsey Bradshaw stated that there is also a Title IX office for the district that hears complaints about discrimination.