Increase in Need for Mental Health Support for High Schoolers

Nadia Fadlu-Deen, Staff Writer

Concerns over high school students’ mental health have risen, as a dramatic increase in rates of anxiety and depression have been reported in recent years and were exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic

The American Psychologist Association (APA) stated, “Two new meta-analytic studies involving thousands of children and college students show that anxiety has increased substantially since the 1950s. The massive increase in mental illness over the years isn’t linked to a specific thing; rather certain environments and lifestyles are contributors to the increase” (apa.org). 

Dr. Jean M. Twenge, PhD, of Case Western Reserve University predicted that over the coming years, the cases of depression will only rise, and the cycle of depression and anxiety will only grow. “The second study looked at anxiety scores during the same years in 99 samples of children (representing 12,056 children, ages 9-17). Both studies show a significantly large increase in anxiety levels, providing more evidence for what some authors have called ‘the age of anxiety’” (apa.org).

“Over the last several decades, both through good economic times and bad, the United States has transformed into the planet’s undisputed worry champion. Around the turn of the millennium, anxiety flew past depression as the most prominent mental health issue in America, and it’s never looked back” (slate.com). 

Psychologist William James believes that a contributing factor to today’s mental illness is a lack of community. Currently, psychologists are linking teenage social anxiety to dependency for community on social media and overall lack of connectedness. The substitution is not healthy as social anxiety is subdued by fellow human kinship (slate.com).

“The good news is that people are bringing more attention to the topic, so hopefully soon kids will be able to realize when they need support,” said UC High’s Psychologist Laura Alles. Alles explained that with the consistent rise of mental health awareness, students are finding it more acceptable to seek help. “It’s a little different with social media because their personal selves are reflected to them in a very immediate fashion,” stated Alles.

“It’s becoming more acceptable to talk about mental health, which is a wonderful thing. In schools where the students are more willing to seek help, the more ideas of positive mental health can be spread into the community,” said Alles. “I like the idea of posting everywhere the idea of safe spaces.”