Performing Arts Program Prepares their Production of “Clue”

Katelyn Timple

Theatre cast in costume for their production to be performed in the Auditorium in January.

Matteo Faucheux, Staff Writer

The UC High Performing Arts and Theatre Class will have its first show of the year, Clue, on January 12 at 4 p.m., 13 at 7 p.m., and 14 at 7 p.m. in the Auditorium.

Tickets will need to be purchased online and have been available since December 10. The link is in the theatre program’s Instagram bio at @ucperformingarts.

As per district regulations, audience members must be masked and will be required to show either their vaccine card or a negative COVID-19 test taken within the previous 72 hours.

Theatre Teacher Nia Hilton said, “Clue is a murder mystery based off of the classic ‘who-dun-it’ board game and movie by the same name. Six strangers attend a dinner party hosted by Mr. Boddy, who reveals that he is blackmailing all of them. Halfway through the party, when Mr. Boddy turns up murdered, everyone is a suspect.”

Hilton added that the setting of the entire play takes place in Boddy’s manor. According to the Internet Movie Database, the movie which the play is based on was created in 1985, and is set in the early ‘50s (imdb.com).

“The main characters are Mr. Boddy and the six dinner party attendees: Mrs. Peacock, Miss Scarlett, Mrs. White, Mr. Green, Colonel Mustard, and Professor Plum,” said Hilton.

Hilton stated, “Students first had to audition for parts, and once the show was cast, they met every day after school to run through the scenes. It’s a 90 minute show, which is short for a play. It needs a lot of work since the entire basis is that there are many confusing clues and the mystery is complicated and all over the place!”

“Clue is a show where most of the characters are onstage together the entire time, so everyone relies on everyone else for lines and movement — luckily, they’re all working well together not just with what the script requires, but also with their own ideas and improv,” said Hilton.

Junior Sydney Boerner said, “We are taking as many COVID-19 precautions as possible. However, realistically, we cannot maintain social distancing due to the nature of the show. We do trust each other though, and don’t come to rehearsals when we feel under the weather.”

Hilton said, “It’s very exciting to be allowed back inside the theatre for performances. We ended last year with an outside performance and while that was fun, it’s great to have access to all the technical aspects of theatre like set building, lighting, and sound.”

Boerner stated, “This cast is amazing, and the plot is quite hilarious. I am excited to share this experience with them!”

“I truly hope everyone comes to see the show. It’s a wacky, funny, and chaotic good time for all . Even if you’ve never seen a show by UC Theatre or never been to a play, we’re hoping for engaging audiences ready for a good time,“ said Hilton.