UC High’s Annual Sights and Sounds Showcase a Success

Cassandra Bristol, Staff Writer

The Sights and Sounds showcase — an annual concert, fundraiser, and silent auction held by the UC High Music Department — was held virtually on the evening of April 24 to highlight musical and visual performances by students, staff, and alumni.

According to the UC High music program’s official website, “This wonderful community event has gone virtual for 2021 to give our students the opportunity to share their talents while raising money to support the UC High Music Department” (uchsmusic.com).

Performers were able to record professional in-person sessions in the auditorium, while some chose to record from home. The performances were edited into a streamlined video performance via TicketSpice for audience members to “…see current and former students and staff perform from the comfort of [their] homes,” according to the event’s ticket page (ticketspice.com).

Music Director Brandon Corenman said, “Moving our event online meant changing just about everything. We had an awesome committee of volunteer parents who helped organize aspects of the event such as the auction, the video recording and editing, as well as advertising. We have been planning the event for several months.”

“We wouldn’t be able to have such an event without the volunteer performers. I am thankful that so many current students, alumni, and current and former staff were still willing to find the time to share their passion and musical talents with us,” said Corenman.

Junior Colin Stout said, “My trio had a difficult time adjusting to the new format for the Sights and Sounds Showcase, but we found that our struggles were surpassable, and our perseverance led to quite the show…. We put our hours of practice onto the stage, and we ended up with something we can call our own.”

Corenman added, “While it took a lot of work to navigate all of the challenges and new aspects of moving the event online, I am really proud of what our music department was able to create and share with our community.”

The event, which has occurred annually for seven years, has encouraged a diverse variety of acts to perform. According to the audition information page, “Instrumental solos, vocal solos, small ensembles, rock bands, colorguard, dance, and poetry are examples of typical acts.”

The showcase also held a silent auction to benefit the program as well as those who donated. “Local area businesses donated items for the auction in support of music education at UC High,” said Corenman. According to an email from the UC High Music Boosters, prizes included “handmade jewelry, plants, art-quality photography, a photography package, music lessons, gift cards… and more.”