Inside the UC High Interact Club

Daniel Popoca-Logue, Staff Writer

The UC High Interact Club is a service and leadership club that aims to better their community and beyond through community service events; the club is currently focused on fundraising money to provide students in Bac Ha with clean water through the Gravity Water campaign.

President Alexander Wicklund said, “The purpose of the Interact Club is to help fellow students go into the community and help out as well as give opportunities to students to try new things. We continuously wish to push students to give them the chance to better themselves and help out the community which benefits all, while giving all students a fun experience.”

“Interact Club offers students one of the most fulfilling experiences you can have in life, service to others. By joining you are immediately getting involved in worthy causes where you make a real difference in another person’s life,” said Club Advisor Brad Liber.

“We have had a couple of fundraisers in the past few years. They either tend to benefit the club directly by allowing us to have a budget in the future to do bigger community service events or they directly go into a cause such as with our Gravity Water Campaign. That fundraising is meant to go directly towards helping a community receive access to fresh water,” said Wicklund.

The Interact Club is now conducted on Zoom. “Interact has definitely been different now that we are in distance learning. A majority of our community service projects were in person and required us to be there to do work. In distance learning we began looking into projects that do not require in-person work. So far this school year, we have done two projects which include a letter drive as well as our current Gravity Water fundraising campaign,” remarked Wicklund.

According to Gravity Water’s official website, Gravity Water is a campaign to provide schools in need with clean water, without using any electricity or pumps. “After capture and storage, Gravity Water filters the rainwater using sub-micron filtration, virtually eliminating any potential living and non-living pollutants that may have entered the water source prior to storage” (gravitywater.org).

“Everywhere in Vietnam they really really need clean and fresh water,” said National Director of Gravity Water Vietnam Jane Nguyen. “In Bac Ha and in the mountainous area, the people… they work on the farm, they will spray chemicals, so I know the quality of water is not safe for children drinking” (gravitywater.org).

“For me, one of the most important reasons I wanted to join Gravity Water was to help my country, and help my communities. I can imagine in the future more healthy children, and more happy people,” said Ngyuen (gravitywater.org).

According to Gravity Water’s official website, Gravity Water is a campaign to provide schools in need with clean water, without using any electricity or pumps.