SDUSD Superintendent Cindy Marten Nominated for Deputy Secretary of Education

Cassandra Bristol, Staff Writer

In mid-January, San Diego Unified School District (SDUSD) Superintendent Cindy Marten was nominated to serve as the next United States Deputy Secretary of Education by President Joe Biden as part of his effort to include more diversity and public school representation in government leadership.

SDUSD Student Board Member and UC High Junior Zachary Patterson said, “Throughout Cindy’s time in San Diego Unified she has been a strong advocate for equitable policies that meaningfully prioritize our most vulnerable learners. I am excited and optimistic to see that Superintendent Marten has been nominated to serve as Deputy Secretary of Education. Her unparalleled dedication will serve all of us well over the next four years.”

According to an email sent from the superintendent to district staff, “With the nomination, Biden is doubling down on a campaign promise to install public school educators at the top of the department; Marten, who was a classroom teacher for 17 years, will serve under Education Secretary-Designate Miguel Cardona, also a former public school teacher.”

In regards to the future of the district, according to NBC News San Diego, Marten has “…spoken with the San Diego Unified Board of Education to ensure a seamless transition. [The district] remains focused on providing our students with a full recovery following the COVID-19 pandemic.”

As for new district leadership, “…SDUSD’s Board of Education appointed Lamont Jackson as interim superintendent through the remainder of the school year.” Jackson currently represents elementary and middle schools in University City, Clairemont, and Mira Mesa as an area superintendent (nbcsandiego.com).

According to KPBS, Jackson said he will “…continue Marten’s work, with a particular emphasis on equity, inclusion and diversity… [and] the district will continue to follow scientific guidance in regard to the COVID-19 pandemic and will not bring children and teachers into classrooms until it is safe to do so” (kpbs.org).

Marten has a diverse educational background. “Marten has been SDUSD superintendent since 2013. She got her start as a teacher and school-wide literacy specialist in the Poway Unified School District and has worked as an educator for 32 years, including 17 years as a teacher and stretches as a principal and vice principal” (kpbs.org).

According to a tweet from Marten, she is “…honored to serve alongside [Miguel Cardona] to restore our education system, putting teachers, students, and parents first. Work Hard. Be Kind. Dream Big. Let’s do this!” (twitter.com).