UC High Athletic Department May Soon Include eSports Team

John Denison, Staff Writer

The UC Athletics Department may soon add eSports to the list of activities offered by the school, providing students with new opportunities for earning scholarships.

According to Athletics Director David Asuncion, eSports involves people playing video games in a competitive environment. 

Asuncion added, “eSports is an avenue for kids to get involved in a team and build a whole new program. We are ‘feeling it out’ to see if there is enough interest in eSports to establish our program.”

Senior ASB President Meredith Olney said, “ASB is excited that there is a new sport that could include students who previously did not participate in sports.” 

Olney also mentioned that “…eSports are popular all over the world, and we are excited to introduce it at UC High. ASB plans on fully supporting this new sport, and we are looking forward to its development.”

Olney added,  “There are lots of students who have expressed an interest in an eSports team. It is exciting that UC High may join the ranks of some other high school eSports teams.” 

Senior Roman Greer said, “eSports is important because there is a large community that plays…. Many local schools already have fully functioning eSports teams.”   

As time goes on, eSports could become something more well known at high schools across the nation. “The future of eSports at UC High hopefully involves a coach, some equipment, and uniforms,” said Greer. 

Greer added, “Our main problem right now is getting funding for equipment and supplies. We need to get CIF backing us, so we can get funding for essential equipment.”

Asuncion continued, “Finances are a challenge, the equipment for eSports is very expensive; fundraising will definitely help out the team. Mr. Huszar is the adviser to the  Video Game Club, and may be willing to help out the eSports program.” 

According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, “A potential revenue stream [for schools] is student participation in computer competitions known as eSports” (sandiegouniontribune.com). The revenue from eSports could assist the school’s entire athletic budget. eSports would also engage a larger portion of the student population in athletics, making the entire program stronger (sandiegouniontribune.com).

Greer continued, “Gaming is a fun activity that can give people a different perspective on competition.”

Olney said, “Sports are a great way for students to meet new friends, and eSports is no exception to this.”