ASB Plans New Spirited Events For Student Body

Madeline Williams, Staff Writer

During the holiday season, the UC High ASB coordinated events and activitities to keep the student body entertained and spirited including spirit weeks, school events, pep rallies, fundraisers, and lots more.

This year ASB has really been focusing on ways to help out the community and the student body. “Every year we have a canned food drive and this year we did a letter campaign,” said Senior ASB President Meredith Olney. 

“A letter campaign is where you send letters through Channel 93.3 [radio station] and the letters are  inspiring letters to military troops,” explained Olney.

ASB also helped students with events such as College Week and Senior Week. Senior ASB Secretary Rose Grimm mentioned, “College Week was focused on helping students get through application season and to further educate [them] about colleges. During that same time, [we] had special activities prioritizing the seniors.”

Some activities include the holiday spirit week, winter pep rally, and the Multicultural Fair. “The last week before Winter Break is when we will have our winter spirit week, which is always holiday-themed,” said Olney. 

“Some other activities coming soon are events like the Multicultural Fair. This is a great time for clubs to gain new members and raise money for their clubs. There will also be quite a few dance performances during the fair and the pep rallies known as the Winter Rally and Spring Showcase,” Olney added.

“Additionally, we try to keep school life fun and entertaining by having themed months, such as ‘No Vape November,’” Olney added.

Usually, ASB works together to conduct a school dance known as the Winter Formal. However, according to Senior ASB Liaison Shayna Meltzer, “This year there will not be a Winter Formal because of how few students attended last year’s dance. The club was unable to collect the funds necessary to provide another dance other than Prom and Homecoming.” Meltzer added that it would be unnecessary to spend money raised if there will be no profit and if students will not attend.     

There have been some ideas regarding having a small dance in the absence of the Winter Formal. ASB Advisor Donna Fallon explained, “It depends on multiple things, and it will most likely not happen. However, if the seniors do some extra fundraisers there could possibly be some sort of a dance.” 

Even though there will not be a Winter Formal this year, ASB has been taking the time to pack in some other activities. “Not having an extra winter dance this year will allow our club to put more effort into different school events,” said Meltzer.