Sustainability Club Strives to Reduce Carbon Footprints

Madeline Williams//Commander

Sophomores Guarav Bharti, Alyssa Dunley, Hannah Griswold, and Mudia Mowoe work to remodel the school’s garden.

Julie Whitehill, Staff Writer

UC High’s Sustainability Club works to find and apply creative strategies to reduce the average student’s carbon footprint throughout their daily lives.

“The purpose of Sustainability Club is to promote being more environmentally friendly in our everyday lives,” said Club Secretary Sophomore Olivia Barman, “We encourage everyone to try and be more eco-friendly and aim to improve sustainability around University City. Our club also provides large recycling bins around campus.”

Sustainability Club has many goals and assignments that they are currently working on in the local area. Vice President Sophomore Gaurav Bharti recalled a previous project the club engaged in at Rose Canyon. “We aim to improve sustainability around University City so we had a project in Rose Canyon in which we removed invasive plants and planted native acorns,” stated Bharti.

Fundraising Officer Sophomore Serafin Dela Paz explained, “We do small things such as recycling, planting seeds in canyons and, recently, reforming the school garden.”

Barman elaborated on the garden project: “A project we are working on currently is fixing up the school garden near the bungalows and making it a more enjoyable place for students. We just finished phase one of this project. Phase two and three will be coming up shortly.”

Paz confirmed more details regarding the garden project: “We are currently doing a project in collaboration with Faith Club called Project 25. We were given one hundred dollars to change our school’s garden and make it a more suitable place for students to hang out with friends.”

Paz continued, “In the future, Sustainability Club hopes to continue engaging in projects both small and large.”

Barman said, “We help out with recycling on campus and organizing environmental projects that will improve the University City community. Sustainability Club was founded at the beginning of this school year; the officers were inspired after taking AP Environmental Science the previous year.”

Sustainability Club, like any organization, comes with its own difficulties. Barman stated, “Our biggest struggle as a new club right now is the issue of raising money to fund more projects. We aim to solve this by applying for grants and selling food at club rush.”

Barman expressed, “I joined Sustainability Club because I am passionate about saving the environment for future generations to enjoy. I also enjoy being able to make a difference in the community.”

According to Bharti, the club meets in Room 607 every Friday. Bharti continued,  “If you or someone you know would like to join Sustainability Club, come to one of our meetings and we can add you to the remind list where we send out notifications about upcoming meetings and projects.”