UC High Improv Club Sparks Student Creativity

Rebecca Garcia, Staff Writer

Improv Club takes place every Thursday at lunch, welcoming students with some experience or none at all to act out scenarios given right on the spot, in History Teacher Daniel Millard’s room, bungalow fourteen.

Senior Co-President Thomas Mahady feels students should be given the opportunity to participate in improvisational theatre, or improv comedy. “To me, improv is something I feel like I do a lot. It’s one of my passions and I wanted to show the school how fun it is,” Mahady stated.

According to a theatre website, “Improv is a form of live theatre in which the plot, characters, and dialogue of a game, scene, or story are made up in the moment. Often improvisers will take a suggestion from the audience, or draw on some other source of inspiration to get started” (hideouttheatre.com).

According to Senior Co-President Casey White, starting Improv Club with Mahady was something the both of them had wanted to do since freshman year. They also felt being co-presidents of a club would look good on college applications.

“The main goal of Improv Club is to get everyone more comfortable with each other and to get everyone more into it,” stated White.

In Improv Club, students are given scenarios and have to act on the spot and come up with creative ideas. Mahady recalled his favorite given scenario, “I wrote on a card, set it down, and the person had to come up and pick the card up and act out as a guy named Orfeus. So, there was a lot of creative thinking that had to be done to act that out.” White said, “The weirdest scenario I’ve been given was one where I had to act out a guy named Orfeus. It was really hard, but really funny.”

“Improv makes me a happier person and more relatable to people. I feel like my temperament and happy nature can be credited to improv and humor,” explained Mahady.

Using improv in  day-to-day life has been important in both White’s and Mahady’s lives. “I think improv is very important, because I feel like humor is necessary in this bland and sad world. Any opportunity to laugh is a good time to laugh,” stated Mahady.

Both Mahady and White hope to have a non-senior join Improv Club to continue its legacy by carrying it on with the responsibilities of president next year.