Grammys Features a Multitude of Rising and Returning Artists

Giovanna Brunetto, Staff Writer

Grammy season is almost here. A quite familiar and world-famous event declaring some of the top musical artists of our time is on the verge of taking place. Whether it’s pop, hip-hop, rhythm and blues, rap, rock, reggae, country, or even gospel music, the annual Grammy awards will celebrate the best in music.

Though the overwhelming number of categories and nominees for the Grammys can make it difficult to choose a single favorite, some have strong opinions about who they think should take the coveted prize home. Freshman Danielle Muttera said, “I think Steve Lacy’s music has a very unique style that brings lots of attention to his songs. His music has been very popular lately.” It is safe to say that Muttera’s may be right. In October of 2022, Steve Lacy’s single “Bad Habit” hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 song chart (billboard.com). However, his major popularity gain in the past year does not completely guarantee a victory. Lacy has tough competitors including Harry Styles, Mary J. Blige, Doja Cat, Beyoncé, and more. 

Among the strongest competitors is powerhouse singer Adele. “I think Adele deserves a Grammy because of her amazing voice,” said Freshman Sophia Yergens. Similar to Steve Lacy, Adele’s “Easy on Me” managed to climb to number one, staying there for a solid ten weeks straight, making Yergen’s point just as strong.

Kendrick Lamar released his album Mr. Morale and the Big Steppers in May of 2022, which hit number one on the Billboard 200 Albums Chart (billboard.com). It is a strong contender for Album of the Year. Freshman Nino Brunetto has a very strong opinion about Lamar emerging victorious, considering him the only person deserving of a Grammy this year. Brunetto said, “His music doesn’t just aim to sound good, but to tell a story and influence the listener. His latest album is easily the Album of the Year in my opinion with its meaningful songs, telling stories from his personal life to global issues, all while having catchy lyrics and incredible melodies.”

One band in particular, nominated for multiple Grammys including Record of the Year and Album of the Year, proves that old is gold. ABBA, who was very popular in the 1970s and 1980s, has gained popularity yet again almost 40 years later. Voyage, an album that ABBA dropped at the end of 2021, has brought them nominations for two consecutive years (grammy.com).

Great singers of the past and present have been nominated for multiple Grammys while still coming home empty-handed. Some of those include Queen, The Beach Boys, Tupac, Snoop Dogg, and more, not to mention how it took ABBA over 50 years to even get nominated. But these artists are all without a doubt not just legendary singers, but notable individuals outside of their careers. So, if your favorite artist doesn’t win a Grammy on Sunday night, don’t let it discourage you. Keep listening to their music and letting their songs take you to a different state of mind.