Celebrate Black History Month with a Variety of San Diego Events

Allison Rojas, Staff Writer

Black History Month is an annual celebration of the achievements made by African Americans as well as a time to commend their roles in United States history. Since 1976, every U.S. president has officially recognized February as Black History Month, according to the History Channel. Other countries around the world, such as Canada and the United Kingdom, also devote a month to celebrating Black history. This February, the city of San Diego is participating in the celebration of Black History Month in a variety of ways, with plenty of events worth attending (history.com).

On Friday, February 10, the Scottish Rite Center of San Diego is holding a veteran career fair in tribute to Black History Month. It is located at 1895 Camino del Rio South San Diego, and is open to the public from 11a.m. to  1 p.m. There are 50 plus expected educational institutions and veteran support organizations (eventbrite.com). 

The Community Actors Theatre is producing a play called The Main Line, which is about the late Mahalia Jackson, the self-taught “Queen of Gospel.” The play runs from February 3 to February 26. On Fridays and Saturdays, the play will start at 8 p.m., but it will be held at 3 p.m. on Sundays. Mahalia Jackson inspired some of the most popular music genres in the United States. She was the first gospel singer to perform at Carnegie Hall and was very active in the civil rights movement with the late Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., the late Dr. Ralph Abernathy, and the late Representative John Lewis (communityasctorstheatre.com). 

Public libraries offer special tributes to Black history each February, according to the city’s travel website. Various programs that are held both online and offline at the San Diego Public Library, allowing students the opportunity to channel their creativity, celebrate culture and community, and recognize the achievements as well as the ongoing struggles of Black Americans. The library holds a creative works contest as well. Students are invited to submit an essay, poem, visual artwork, song, rap, or other creative work that represents a Black historical figure or an event in Black American history that has influenced their personal life (sandiego.org).

Black Artists in the comic book industry have been around for decades. This year’s Black Comix Day will be held on February 11-12 at the World Beat Center in Balboa Park. The World Beat Center’s website explains that Black Comix Day has a special focus on Black artist’s creations such as Power Knights, Is’Nana The Were-Spider, Menthu, Agent Wild and more. This event is designed to inspire the entrepreneurial spirit in communities of color to forge their own futures (worldbeatcenter.com).  

For the month of February, UC High’s BSU club is customizing the front office bulletin board to showcase Black historical figures. Sophomore Sarah Gharagozlou, secretary of the Black Student Union (BSU), said some of her personal favorite events with BSU have been watching movies with predominantly Black casts or movies about Black history. She added, “We are also planning a field trip to the Black College Expo! It is a good opportunity for our club members to learn about Historically Black Universities.”

San Diego has a variety of Black History celebrations ranging from informative lectures, to parades, to artistic celebrations. Be sure to check these events out throughout February and honor Black History all year long.