Top Ten Most Made and Broken New Year’s Resolutions

Jenna Harper, Features Editor

As another year ends, and a new one begins, people across the globe tend to take a look at themselves and see what needs to change. These changes are what we call New Year’s Resolutions, and although so many seem to make them, only a seldom few actually keep them. Here are the top ten most made and broken New Year’s Resolutions!

10.) Volunteer – At the start of the year, it’s easy to tell yourself you want to give back to the community and do more good in the world. Yet, as the year goes on, excuses come into fruition and it becomes hard to find time to make it to the Humane Society, or the Homeless Shelter, or whatever it may be.

9.) More Family TimeAs teenagers, most of us live for being social butterflies and spending our free time with our friends, making it not-so-easy to designate time for the fam. However, it’s important to find a balance and spend your time wisely.

8.) Get OrganizedFor those that are organizationally-challenged, getting neat and tidy is a difficult task. No matter what it is that needs better organization, it’ll take some serious perseverance to get it together if you are typically a messy person.

7.) Less Social Media In this day and age, social media is almost completely unavoidable. Between Snapchat, Instagram, and everything else, no matter how many times you tell yourself to stay away from it, it’ll somehow keep creeping back into your daily routine.

6.) Stop Procrastinating – Look, we all say we’ll stop procrastinating and do that assignment in advance so we don’t have to worry about it, but it’s very rare that we follow through with this. Habits are generally pretty hard to kick, so good luck trying to kick this one.

5.) Less Stress Stress in total is inescapable. There are methods one can use to reduce the day to day strain, but it’s near-impossible to stay zen forever, so the best of luck to anyone trying to cut that out.

4.) Sleep MoreAs students, getting the right amount of sleep every night is not so easily said and done. Our sleep schedule is constantly thrown off by homework-full all-nighters, falling asleep in class, or even just overdoing it on caffeine. It seems almost impossible to fix it at this point.

3.) Save Money We’d all love to save money and limit our spending, but the occasional (or not so occasional) splurge is completely inevitable. Whether it be the latest new tech or the trendiest new fit, saving money is no easy task.

2.) Eat HealthyNo matter how many gluten free options or vegan lunch plates you buy, it takes a special kind of commitment to eat totally healthy for an entire year, a kind of commitment and stamina level that most of us just don’t have. Props to you if you’re able to achieve that level of health and commitment.

1.) Lose Weight/Go to the Gym Ah, January 1, forever the most packed and crowded day at the gym. It’s easy to tell yourself it’s time to get in shape and go to the gym daily, but let’s be honest, how long is that actually going to last?