Wrong! Cinco de Mayo Not Mexican Independence Day

Juliana Marquez, Staff Writer

Many Americans mistakenly believe that Cinco De Mayo is Mexican Independence Day.  Actually,  Mexican Independence Day is on September 16, the day after the “Grito de Dolores” (timeanddate.com).

The History Channel website explains: “Within Mexico, Cinco de Mayo is primarily observed in the state of Puebla, where Zaragoza’s unlikely triumph [against French troops that greatly outnumbered them] occurred, although other parts of the country also take part in the celebration.” Offices, banks and stores remain open on this day in Mexico as it is not a federal holiday (history.com).

The “Cinco de Mayo” holiday started in modern day California, in 1863. It has been a celebrated holiday in America ever since, especially in border towns. Cinco de Mayo celebrates Mexico’s defeat of the French. Until this battle, the French army was undefeated (discovery.com).

The story of Mexico’s actual Independence Day, which declares independence from Spain, begins with Cortes. The first rise against the Spanish was led by Hernan Cortes’s son who was named Martin Cortes. An article about Mexico’s early history stated, “Napoleon’s invasion and occupation of Spain from 1808 to 1813 heightened the revolutionary fervor in Mexico and other Spanish colonies.”

On September 16, 1810 a priest named Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla threw a rally cry that’s known today as “Grito de Dolores.”  Hidalgo’s plan to rise against the Spanish government was betrayed, so he acted on it quickly. He armed the citizens, encouraging them to fight against the Spanish and break away and become an independent country (history.com).

“Long live Our Lady of Guadalupe [symbol of the Indians’ faith], death to bad government, death to the gachupines [the Spaniards]!” said Hidalgo. Hidalgo created a huge mob army and eventually had to pay the price. Hidalgo was taken by the Spanish government and executed on July 31, 1811. Hidalgo’s rally/cry is well known today as the cry for independence. Hidalgo is known as “the father of Mexican independence” (britannica.com).

Freshman Brian Rios said, “Mexico has gone through a lot since those times. Mexico is getting better, but we’re still not to the point where we can compete with other states because of corruption.” Whether or not Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican or American tradition, it is a celebration of an epic battle and a great excuse to be with family, eat delicious food and listen to traditional music.