Get Your Fill of Flowers at the Fields

Audrey Hancock, Staff Writer

The Carlsbad flower fields feature lots of springtime bloom.
Springtime bloom at the Carlsbad Flower Fields.

Looking for a splash of color or a sign of spring? The Flower Fields in Carlsbad Ranch have officially been open since March 1 and will remain open until May 8, hours being from 9 to 6 daily. They have many different types of beautiful flowers to see and fun activities that many UC High students may enjoy.

The Flower Field has nearly fifty acres of giant Tecolote Ranunculus. “These bright flowers bloom for approximately six to eight weeks each year, peak season being March,” according to the Flower Fields press room (flowerfields.com). There are also beauteous acres of roses, orchids, sweet pea blossoms, petunias, and even an ocean view. Freshman Allison Wuest said, “I liked seeing all the different types of flowers.”

While the children run around playing in the sweet pea maze or Santa’s playground, with whimsical play houses and gigantic mushrooms that were part of Santa’s village in Lake Arrowhead years ago, the adults can peregrinate looking in the beautiful artist gardens and the cymbidium orchid green house filled with yellow, pink and purple orchids. Freshman Blanca Branshaw said, “What I love about [the Flower Fields] is the smell and getting to learn more about the different flowers, and also how beautiful the nature is around it.”

“Not only does the Flower Fields provide its visitors with 50 acres of giant Tecolote Ranunculus it also sets the stage for fantastic special events,” according to the visitors website about the flower fields (flowerfields.com). Being driven by an antique tractor on an open air wagon ride might seem too alarming, but the ancient wagon ride teaches you all about the history of how the Flower Fields started.

“Today, the Fields are a direct result of over 85 years of floral cultivation that began when Luthar Gage, an early settler, and grower settled in the area in the early 1920s. Gage brought Ranunculus seeds to the area and began growing them in his fields next to Franks Frazee’s small vegetable farm in South Oceanside,” according to the flower field visitor information (theflowerfields.com).

For over sixty years, the Flower Fields have held many family fun attractions, seasonal special events, and weddings. It’s the perfect place to make magical memories.

This annual burst of color has become part of the area’s local heritage and is one of nature’s official ways of announcing the arrival of spring here in Southern California. The Flower Fields are a great place to visit with your family or friends this  spring.