‘Tis The Season for Video Games

Anthony Garbino, Sports Editor

As the temperature gets colder and winter starts to come around, many people look forward to the change in the weather, new fashion and holiday food. Gamers, on the other hand, have a different perspective. As game developers want to get their video games out before the holidays, most new upcoming games come out around the last few months of the year. With the new generation of gaming consoles, such as the Playstation 4 and the Xbox One, coming into their prime, developers have had time to create improved games based on the new technologies.

In terms of games, this year is special in comparison to years before due to the many big-name titles coming out. From Star Fox Zero to Fallout Four, there are some highly anticipated games that many UC High students have been waiting for, for years. “All the new games coming out are bringing gamers together. Now instead of people fighting over what console is better, people are talking about the greatness of all the new storylines and games,” said Senior Anthony Oliver. Gaming fans are excited for the newest titles.

The three biggest titles that are drawing attention during this year’s “gaming season” are Fallout Four, Star Wars Battlefront and Call of Duty Black Ops 3. Each one of these titles is predicted to make over 500 million dollars from their releases, breaking the record for highest combined gross income between three games ever (techinsider.io).

“The reason I think that people want to buy these new games is because it’s exciting to see what’s coming out and what new experiences each game will bring,” said Senior Jesus Chavez. Every gamer has a different taste in video games. Whether it be first-person shooter games or role-playing games, there is often just that special quality that makes people enjoy one genre over the others. Games that are part of a series especially appeal to fans. “There will also be games [coming out] like Fallout Four that are a sequel of a game, so fans of that series want to see what the new installment brings to the table,” said Chavez.

While these gaming powerhouses are at the top, there are still some very notable games that are coming out in the future, such as a sequel to the most recent game Tomb Raider. One of the components of these video games that brings players back to them is the storylines. With some games being up to ten installments long, people want to see what happens next. This is one of the appeals that draws people into buying these games. “What brings me to a new game is a well-designed storyline, followed by high definition graphics and gameplay that is carefully thought out. This is what I try to find in the games that I play,” said Oliver.

All the new content that is being produced this year is causing many gamers to have to choose what they purchase carefully, as games can be expensive. “I wish I would be able to get all the games that I wanted, but I can’t because I have no money. I am saving up to be able to get them, but I can’t at the moment.” said Senior Jacob DeMille.

While the year is coming to an end, video game season is currently in its prime. UC High gamers have decisions to make. Whether it be what games to buy or what console to get, we all know that there are choices and many of them will be difficult.