Popular TV Shows Take UC High by Storm

Artwork by Karyssa Newsome

Hata Velic, News Editor

With winter break starting tomorrow, everyone should know of at least one TV show that they can kick back, relax and watch during their time off. These days, horror and superhero-themed shows seem to be becoming more and more popular among the UC High student body.

One of the top, and obviously very popular among Centurions, TV shows at the moment is The Walking Dead. This series is about a group that tries to survive and out-live a zombie apocalypse. Sophomore Hattie Connell said, “I like this show because it’s very gory and full of action, but at the same time it’s also dealing with a lot of raw human emotion and tragedies that makes the show so interesting.” We see the many struggles that the characters go through, along with the precious moments that they experience together.

AP English Literature Teacher Richard Norton explained, “I’ve always been a fan of zombie movies. I like this one in particular, because I like to see the characters grow and change over the series and over the years. If you watch it from the first season to now, you can barely recognize some of the characters, and I find it very interesting.” This exciting and intense TV series is bound to have you craving more after just the first episode (amc.com).

Another popular horror show is American Horror Story. This show was created by the co-creators of Glee, but it is a completely different world from the happy Glee series. This show revolves around the Harmons family that moves into a house that is haunted by not ghosts, but demonic creatures that have a history of devouring the house residents. Senior Marina Sweetnam said, “I love this show because it never ceases to surprise me. Just when I think I’ve seen the grossest, scariest, weirdest, ugliest thing, the show flips around and creates another monstrosity. It is highly entertaining.” This unnervingly weird and addictive show is sure to have you jumping in your seat this season (fxnetworks.com).

Moving on from the horror shows, a popular superhero series is Supergirl. This action-adventure drama is based on the DC Comics character Superhero Kara Zor-El, who is Superman’s cousin. She has been keeping her super powers secret for the past 12 years on Earth and has finally decided to embrace her ability to be the superhero that she was always meant to be. The superhero drama in this series will have your eyes glued to the TV, so why not put it on when you have nothing else to do? (cbs.com).

Another popular superhero show that you will no doubt enjoy is The Flash. This show is about a guy named Barry Allen who wakes up nine months after he was struck by a bolt of lightning and discovers that he has super speed. With his new powers, Barry decides to start fighting crime in Central City with his team by his side. This series not only deals with superpowers, but involves drama between the characters as well. So, if you are feeling some superhero drama one day, make sure to start watching this TV series. You will be sprinting back to the TV as fast as Allen for more episodes (imdb.com).

If you plan to meet up with your friends at some point during break, why not make it a TV show marathon? Surprise your friends with these awesome TV series that you now know all about. Grab the popcorn, and make your break worth it. Then, when you get back from break, you can proudly jump into a conversation with your fellow peers about the hottest TV shows on campus.