As We Grow Taller, Our Wish Lists Get Smaller

Artwork by Taylor McCabe

Kennedy Wilson, Editor-in-Chief

We’ve heard it all before: “As we get older, our Christmas lists get smaller, and the things we really want for Christmas can’t be bought.” When we were little, we wanted simple toys like Barbie Dolls and teddy bears; now, we just want to get accepted into college and maybe enjoy a few good memories for the road. Really, when did everything become so difficult? It’s as though you find out about Santa, your Christmas list gets more realistic.

Back in the good old days, when we were just learning to walk, we wanted pointless things. Slowly as we got older, our wish lists became more personal. Back in the early 2000s, amidst our adolescent years, Time magazine says popular gifts consisted of Bratz, American Girl Dolls and Furbys (content.time.com).

Slowly but surely, we moved into the digital ages. Ah yes, we were the last innocent kids, where we didn’t get phones until somewhere around sixth grade. We got bikes for Christmas maybe one year and Game Boys the next; it was a nice balance between new and old, and we were in the twilight of it.

Then one day, your parents said, “Santa isn’t real, sweetie,” and maybe you already knew, but now it’s the full-blown truth, and sadly you grew up a little more that day. By the time we were in middle school, when we were just starting to find our “true” selves, gifts may have ranged from the newest technology to clothes that expressed our new selves, because our interests were no longer just phases. These gifts were far more personal than some of the earlier presents of our youth (ehow.com).
That brings us to high school and onward. For graduating seniors, the most important thing about the holidays may be that it’s a time to visit with old friends and family. The things we want for Christmas become more practical: a Macbook before college, getting into college and cars. Or maybe a job so we can waste our own money.

Some of these wishes can’t easily be given, and that makes them so much more real. Senior Nicole Garcia said, “I think as we get older, we don’t necessarily lose the magic of Christmas; we just celebrate in different ways than when we were younger.”

This holiday season, remember to enjoy your family traditions and the memories with your friends. Even if Santa’s not real, there’s still plenty of magic to fill the air.