Girls Soccer Makes History With Undefeated Season

Nadia Fadlu-Deen, Staff Writer

For the first time in UC High history, the Girls Varsity Soccer Team finished the season undefeated in League play, en route to a City League Championship.

We definitely have a style of play no matter what system we are in. We possess the ball very well and when we are on, we are tough to manage. We have had some good results and are looking forward to competing well in CIF,” said Coach Jason Donlon. “We won the Platinum Division of our own Holiday Tournament this year, which is one of the biggest and most competitive high school girls soccer tournaments in the Southwest. We have never been able to do that. We were playing up a Division as well, so that made it extra sweet. We were also able to win our League, which we’ve never done in my ten years here, and we are still unable to track the last time it happened… It’s easily been over twenty years that we know, maybe longer.”

In order to secure victory, outstanding teamwork and team coordination is what’s needed to get the job done. “We are the sum of our parts and everyone is essential. Culture is key, and when the players buy in, and believe in one another, great things can happen,” Donlon explained. “But the goal and mission in any season is to win a CIF Championship. We have the tools and talent to do this. But it’s up to the girls and how much they are willing to give of one another and sacrifice for each other if that is to happen… One of the statements I remind the girls of each and every year is one that if they live by it and breathe it, then anything can happen.”

“Our season went really well. We won all of our League games and were able to come in first in League. Our pre-season was kind of rough but besides that, everythings been good,” said Junior Malia Totoris.

Senior Riley Wilder explained how much she enjoyed playing with her team throughout the season. “My highlight of the year so far has probably just been how much I love playing with my team and how close we’ve all grown this year, because it really translates onto the field,” said Wilder.

The team’s success off the field has translated wonderfully onto the field, helping them bond and play amazing as a unit, and Wilder couldn’t agree more. She said, “We’ve been playing really well this season. I trust everyone on the field a ton and it’s nice to know everyone is putting in their part to get the job done.”

Thinking back to her favorite games, many things came to Wilder’s mind. She said, “Honestly, I think our most memorable games would be both of the La Jolla games because they were our hardest competitors. They were the only games we truly had to fight for a win, and it felt super good and was a great accomplishment to come out on top.”