Canatsey Can’t Stop Dominating

Ruby+Canatsey

Shaun Rabot

Ruby Canatsey

Pavle Ristic, Editor-In-Chief

Cool as can be. Whether it’s in the pool or around campus, anyone acquainted with Senior Ruby Canatsey can attest that she is the embodiment of “chill.”

Canetsy’s teammates often praise her about her hardwork. Senior Olivia Klapperich said, “Ruby sets a great example for the rest of the team. She shows up, works hard, and is so much fun to be around.” And you could not get much closer to the truth than that.

As a four year varsity starter, Canatsey has an incredible amount of experience, and readily uses it to benefit the team. Senior Rachael Schneider said, “Our season so far has been filled with challenges. From a COVID-19 outbreak to some really tough matchups, nothing has fazed Ruby. She’s someone who really leads by example.We can all always look to her for leadership in big moments. Her being so calm really helps all of us.”

Canatsey has also found a way to have a more direct influence on her teammates. Senior Erika Johnson said, “She’s always helping someone during practice. Everyone on the team has been able to take something away from playing with Ruby, whether it’s something technical or tactical. She has an incredible knack for knowing just what to say and at what time to help out.”

As a long time swimmer, Canatsey picked up water polo in part due to her father: “Since I can remember I’ve always been in the pool. My dad played an instrumental part in me starting water polo. He used to play and he really got me hooked,” she said. She then added, “He [Canatsey’s father] really has been my biggest supporter and one of my biggest inspirations throughout my career. I just can’t understate what he has done and what it means to me.”

Canatsey said, “My favorite part about water polo is the people I have been able to meet and the experiences we’ve had together. Not only have I made numerous lifelong friends, some of the fondest memories I have come from playing water polo.”

In addition to her father, Head Coach Beto Vasquez has played a large role in her career. “I was on varsity as a freshman and a big reason why I was able to transition to high school so easily was thanks to Beto,” said Canatsey. Vasquez shared, “From the time she first showed up, she has played a large role on the team. Not once has she failed to live up to the expectations I have for her.”

Maybe no game throughout her career better sums up Canatsey as a person than her showing on Senior Night, February 4 agasinst Canyon Crest Academy. When her team needed her most, she put a smile on her face, locked in, and overcame a hurt wrist to put two goals past Canyon Crest Academy to lead the Centurions to a 7-6 win in overtime. Schneider said, “She went and played for the team. She was great and helped us get away with a win.”

As someone with a great character and as a person who is willing to help both herself and her whole team improve, Canetsey is definetely someone who deserves to be one of the UC High’s Athletes of the Month.