Boys Basketball Hoping to Return to the Hardwood Soon

Jack O'Donnell, News Editor

It would be a miracle if we were able to play this season, but it would mean the world to me.  The UC High Boys Basketball Team hopes to get the chance to return to the court this year following a strong outing in the 2019-2020 season. 

According to a high school sports statistic website, the team finished the 2019-2020 season with an overall record of 21-10. The team finished League play with a 5-3 record, which earned them a second place finish in the City League (maxpreps.com).

According to California Interscholastic Federation (CIF), basketball will be allowed to return this year if the county reaches the yellow tier. Other sports designated for a yellow tier return include other indoor contact sports such as wrestling and competitive cheerleading (cifsds.com).

Senior Forward Carson Truong said, “I doubt the season will come back. The global pandemic is very serious and we shouldn’t take any health risks.”

Junior Guard Pavle Ristic spoke of his hope that a season will take place. “It would be a miracle if we were able to play this season, but it would mean the world to me. I’ve put so much into the sport that having a whole year of my career taken away is devastating.”

The team lost in the Championship game of the CIF finals to San Diego High 87-79. Early in the game, star Center Francky Naguidebe was injured. Naguidebe recorded 17 points, 12 rebounds and two blocks per game on the season and his loss proved too much for the Centurions to overcome (maxpreps.com). 

Senior Guard Wesley Clarkson said, “Last year we had great success as a team placing second in both League and the CIF Division Two playoffs. We were also able to get UC’s first ever state playoff win. My favorite moment was the CIF finals game because, despite the loss, I was able to step up and play well at important times.”

Ristic said, “To describe the team’s playoff run, I’d say it was incredible. All of the games we played were hugely entertaining. It was unfortunate that we had some injuries and bad luck down the stretch and weren’t able to win it all but it was incredible nonetheless.”

Truong said, “Our team ended up being the runner up in the CIF playoffs. I think it was a successful season that was filled with its ups and downs.”

Ristic said, “My favorite game last season was definitely the CIF quarterfinals against Otay Ranch. We were down huge but we were able to pull off a big comeback. It was an away game in a huge gym and it was packed so the energy of the game was incredible.”