Ruthenburg Leads On and Off the Field

Luke Minnick, Staff Writer

Senior Star Baseball Player Colin Ruthenburg is not only a leader on the field but all over UC High’s campus.

Ruthenburg’s love for sports sparked through his family. “My love for UC High sports originated from when I used to come to watch my brothers play as a little kid and now that I have the opportunity, I’m taking advantage of it,” explained Ruthenberg. He started playing at the age of four, for a local Little League Team known as the Clairemont Hilltoppers. He worked his way up as a JV player in his freshman and sophomore high school years, to a varsity athlete as a junior and senior.

“Baseball means a ton to me. Not only is it my favorite sport, but I have learned a lot of life lessons and I always have fun playing. It has also given me a lot of achievements that I can talk about later in life,” stated Ruthenburg. Ruthenburg expressed that MLB Center Fielder Mike Trout, for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, is an inspiration and motivates him to continue to work to become a better baseball player. Ruthenberg said that Trout’s quote, “Every time a ball is hit in my area, I know I’m going to catch it” displays the competitive mindset that he brings to the field.

Ruthenberg’s hard work has paid off, as he is now a captain for this season’s team. As a captain, he plans on leading the team through positivity. “I try to hold my fellow players accountable on the field by leading stretches and getting people out of the dugout. I also lead them off the field in the classroom because that is very important,” Ruthenburg expressed. His teammates attest that Ruthenberg’s leadership is invaluable to a positive and dynamic atmosphere on the field. Senior Co-Captain Aiden Kennedy remarked on Ruthenberg’s strong leadership: “Colin is a good leader because he is really fun to be around and really pushes me and our team to be better players and work harder.” Head Coach Richard Frink noted Ruthenberg’s passion for the sport, explaining he takes the team and sport very seriously. “He is a good team leader because he is very disciplined and always leads by example on and off the field,” added Frink.

Ruthenburg expressed his excitement for this season, as he is eager to play with this year’s team of strong athletes. “I really look forward to all the bonds I’m going to build, especially because we have a good team. I’m really looking forward to CIF and going out there to hopefully compete for a championship at Fowler Park,” stated Ruthenberg.

Outside of baseball, Ruthenburg displays a passion for a multitude of sports, as UC High’s Associated Student Body Sports Commissioner, President of the Spikeball Club, and an athlete for the Boys Beach Volleyball Team. He is also a photographer for San Diego Prep Insider, a profile that covers San Diego County’s high school sports.

After this high school season, Ruthenburg is hopeful to continue his baseball career at Mesa College, and hopefully transfer to play at San Diego State University to compete at the Division One collegiate level.