Diversity Shines With Dance Teams

Gabriella Proa, Staff Writer

Almost as diverse as our student population is the vast variety of Dance Teams we have here at UC High. Representing cultures from Asia all the way to America, UC High’s Dance Teams are a way for all students to feel connected and involved.

Diverse Dance Crew, also known as DDC, is one of UC High’s many Dance Teams. “I love the dances we do, and I love that we all get to contribute to the dances,” said DDC Member Bianca Cuervo. “In DDC, there isn’t just one style of dance; we try to stay very open-minded about every style of dance. We enjoy getting the crowd hyped up; it motivates us to hit every move hard. We all have different personalities, and it shows in our dancing. That’s what makes us different and unique,” said DDC Captain Stayci Burgos.

UC High’s official Dance Team performs at many school events like football games, basketball games, pep-rallies and dance recitals. “It’s cool to be friends with people in other grades, which wouldn’t have happened without Dance Team,” said Team Captain Taylor Martin. “Being on Dance Team is like being in a big family. They have been there for me through so much,” said Dance Team Member Ciara Langill.

Tahitian Dance Team is one of UC High’s cultural dance groups. Tahitian dancing is accompanied by music from instruments such as drums, conch shells, and flutes. “Being on the Tahitian Dance Team really made me feel comfortable with myself, and when I’m dancing, I just forget about everything else and focus on dancing,” said Tahitian Dancer Lily Ramirez.

Polynesian, also known as “Poly,” is another one of UC High’s cultural dance teams. “Learning about the culture of Polynesia and the music is what makes Poly interesting,” said Poly Dancer Shane Horton. “My favorite thing about Poly is the bond I have with all the girls; it helped me make a lot of friends. Although it can be challenging, it’s really rewarding once we perform and put on a good show,” she said.

Drill Team performs an energetic style of dance with clean and sharp moves. “As a team, we’ve accomplished and been through so many things,” said Drill Team Captain Kaitlin Saythong. “…the girls are always motivating one another,” she added.

All-Male Dance Team consists of a group of talented and dedicated male students who all share a passion for dancing. Specifically, All Male is a Dance Team that performs a type of hip hop dance. “We are like the ‘Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants,’” said All Male Co-Captain Timothy Pham. “I’ve been on All Male for three years, and I’ve made a lot of friends through it, who are now really close friends,” said All Male Dance Team Member Kelvin Mac.

Color Guard can be categorized as part of both band and a Dance Team. Students often see them at football games during half time with performances that incorporate twirling flags and rifles into their dance routine. “It’s a way to relieve a lot of stress, considering high school is so stressful. I really like Color Guard, and I think more people should get into it,” said Captain Gia Edusada.

With all of these Dance Teams on campus, there is sure to be one that inspires almost every student at UC High, if not to bust a move at a dance, at least to try one out in front of a bedroom mirror.