Mail-In-Voting is a Safe and Effective Method to Make Our Voices Heard

Elaina Martin, Editor-in-Chief

The 2020 election is looming on the horizon, a mere 7 weeks away. Meanwhile, the United States is still advised to stay indoors, caught in the throngs of the COVID-19 pandemic. Since polling venues have been deemed unsafe, wide-scale mail-in voting has been implemented to maintain voter safety. However, the opinion that mail-in voting is insecure and will lead to an inaccurate election has been swirling around the internet and news. Many are worried that mail-in voting will lead to increased voter fraud and an unfair election.

To start off, all voter fraud is extremely rare. The Washington Post found that in an analysis of mail-in ballots there was a small .0025 percent chance of fraud (washingtonpost.com). In fact, PBS noted that the average American has a greater chance of being struck by lightning than committing fraud through mail-in voting (pbs.org).

Contrary to rumors being spread about mail-in voting, evidence shows that mailing in ballots can actually positively impact elections. Associate Professor Anthony Fowler at University of Chicago said, “Research shows that when mail voting is implemented, it appears to actually increase participation… even if mail voting doesn’t meaningfully change the composition of the voting population, it could improve electoral selection and accountability, and most voters should be happy about that” (news.uchicago.edu). Clearly, there is nothing to fear. Mail-in voting removes obstacles like job hours and travel to a polling place, which allow for more people to vote, making it a valuable asset to any democratic election.

AP Government Teacher Michele Fournier said, “Because of the pandemic and our desire to keep people safe and healthy, I feel that mail-in voting is the best option for many people. I can also understand that there are people who are wary of dropping their ballot in the mail and not knowing if it was actually received by the Registrar of Voters, but there are safeguards in place, and other options as well. From what I understand, we will all be able to track our ballots to see if they have been received… People also have the opportunity to deliver their ballot directly to the Registrar of Voters where they can be assured that it will be properly handled and accounted for.” It’s evident that mail-in voting is safe and reliable, especially if it brings voters peace of mind about their safety during these trying times.

The only visible problem with mail-in voting right now is the threat that votes might not make it to the Registrar in time to be counted, considering the current postal slowdown. CNN reported that USPS sent letters to many states saying that “… a significant risk that some ballots will not be returned by mail in time to be counted under your laws as we understand them” (cnn.com). However, this problem could be circumvented by voters simply mailing ballots before the deadline.

Why, then, is mail-in voting suddenly being cast in a negative light if it is so secure? Look to none other than the President’s Twitter account. Donald Trump began speaking out (or, rather, tweeting out) against mail-in voting in the beginning of the discourse over how polling would commence this year. One of the first stabs at mail-in voting he took was aimed at California, when he claimed that mail in ballots would be sent to “… anyone living in the state, no matter who they are or how they got there” (twitter.com). This clearly a jab at undocumented immigrants, a group he takes every opportunity to ruthlessly marginalize. The statement was later fact-checked by Twitter, who clarified that only registered voters would receive ballots. Despite efforts to derail him, Trump has continued his attempt to blemish the validity of mail-in voting, tweeting that Democrats were using mail-in voting to rig the election against him (cnn.com). Considering his history of aggressive tweeting, it’s no surprise that the public confusion links back to Trump.

Still, his claims are hypocritical at best. The New York Times reported that “… Mr. Trump, while criticizing mail voting, recently acknowledged that in March he voted absentee by mail in his adopted home state of Florida. In the 2018 midterm elections, Mr. Trump voted absentee by mail from New York.” As he rants against the dangers of voting by mail, his campaign encourages his followers to request absentee ballots in their ads (nytimes.com). The dichotomy of the issue is dizzying — nothing lends itself to Trump’s credibility. His actions and those of his campaign officials suggest the opposite of the narrative Trump is trying to sell, leaving the lines between what Trump says and does about as clear as mud. While Trump claims that mail-in voting will poison the results of the upcoming election, it’s abundantly clear that the true poison is the misinformation he’s spreading.

All available evidence supports the validity and security of mail-in voting. While the president may argue otherwise, voter fraud is extremely rare and the possibility of voter fraud shouldn’t deter the law-abiding citizen from casting his or her vote by mail. In a year like 2020, marked by one massive challenge after another, it has never been more important to vote. For those who choose to vote by mail, it is recommended to request a ballot at least a month before the election (that means now), and send it in before the deadline to make sure it gets to the registrar on time. Check your registration status at sdvote.com.