SAT Doesn’t Measure Intelligence

Arielle Powell, Staff Writer

After the August 2019 SAT, there was lots of talk among UC High students about standardized testing and its relation to college success. Many students seemed to be concerned with how this test will play a role in their college admissions, and if the test is really fulfilling its duty of measuring success in college. Although the SAT is a useful tool for many colleges to determine students’ potential college success, other factors such as classroom performance might be a stronger indicator of what colleges are trying to measure.

According to the Princeton Review, “The purpose of the SAT is to measure a high school student’s readiness for college” (princetonreview.com). By taking this test, you are supposedly measuring how prepared you are to take on college life. While there are many aspects of the SAT that could determine this, it is important to note that the SAT is not a perfect predictor of a student’s potential for success in college.

Research suggests that the correlation between SAT scores and college grades, although apparent, is not overwhelming. According to ABC News, “Only 10 percent to 20 percent of the variation in first-year [college] GPA is explained by SAT scores” (abcnews.com). Similarly, the National Center for Fair and Open Testing claims that the SAT is “designed to predict first-year college grades — it is not validated to predict grades beyond the freshman year, graduation rates, pursuit of a graduate degree, or for placement or advising purposes” (FairTest.org).

So if a standardized test score is not a great predictor of college success, what is? Well, research done by the SAT’s manufacturers claims that “…class rank and/or high school grades are still both better predictors of college performance than the SAT” (FairTest.org), and it seems like colleges have noticed this trend. Wake Forest University, a top-30 national university, has adopted a test-optional policy, which does not require students to submit their standardized test scores. The university claims that “…the measure of your intelligence and potential requires a deeper dive” and that “…life experience, aspiration, work ethic, [and] engagement” are all important factors in the admission process (wfu.edu).

While the SAT is not the only way to determine college potential, it is still a very useful tool for colleges to use in the admissions process. Standardized test scores give universities that receive hundreds of thousands of applicants a way to narrow down their admission decisions. However, there is still plenty of research that suggests high school GPA is a better predictor of college success. A 2014 study of over 123,000 students revealed that high school GPA was the best indicator of college grades, no matter what the student’s SAT score was.

“There’s no way to tell how successful you will be in college based on a few reading and algebra questions,” said Senior Mimi Olney. Olney then went on to explain that she thinks grades and extracurriculars should be taken into consideration by college admissions officers more than standardized test scores. Being a student in college encompasses much more than what can be presented on one standardized test, and colleges should recognize that. While many universities take a holistic approach when looking at student applications, the SAT undoubtedly still plays a major role in deciding a student’s admission.

Studying for the SAT is also increasing the massive workload of high school students, as well as their stress levels. “It was adding an extra three hours onto my nightly workload,” said Senior Shannon Fornes. Olney and Fornes both agreed that the SAT puts large amounts of stress on themselves and many of their peers.

With the increasing amount of pressure put on high school students regarding college admissions, there should not be so much emphasis on one test that might not even be a good measure of their college potential. Although it is clear the SAT offers valuable insight for the academic potential of high school students, there is plenty of research to suggest that grades and extracurriculars have stronger correlations with college success than standardized test scores do. Instead of stressing about one single test, high schoolers should do their best in school and participate in the activities that genuinely make them happy.