Vocational School for a Career

Josie Krupens, Staff Writer

Outgoing seniors in high school face many tough decisions when they step foot into the adult world. While many people think that a four-year college is the only option, the truth is that it’s not for everybody. Vocational schools, or trade schools, offer a more focused curriculum where students can learn the skills for a particular career they want to pursue, such as hairstyling, plumbing, or cooking. Vocational schools are another option for seniors that, in some cases,  is inherently more beneficial than a four-year college.

One reason vocational school is a better alternative is because of the cost, which is an integral part in choosing where to seek an education. According to a study done by the Idaho Department of Labor, the average cost of a bachelor’s degree in a four-year college is 127,000 dollars (thesimpledollar.com). Alternatively, according to the official website of Rockford Career College, it costs around 33,000 dollars to earn a degree at a vocational school (rockfordcareercollege.edu). It costs less to get a degree from a vocational school than from a university,  and since not everyone has the money to get through four years at a traditional college, the significantly lower cost makes vocational school more appealing.

Vocational schools are also beneficial for those who are seeking education in certain fields that colleges don’t focus on. Junior Shannon Fornes said, “My girlfriend wants to go into welding, and since there are no college programs with that focus, trade school is the best option for her.” Four-year colleges don’t always have the right programs for a field that someone may want to work in. Vocational schools offer specific training for jobs like welding, which colleges unfortunately may not place as much attention on.

Enrollment in a vocational school results in a higher chance that students will enter careers in the field they studied. According to the official Entrepreneur website, 45 percent of college graduates in 2015 were working jobs that did not require their diploma (entrepreneur.com). However, according to the official website of the American Institute of Medical Sciences and Education, vocational schools usually center their career choices around what is in high demand and recognize what employers are looking for, which results in an impressive job-placement rate (aimseducation.edu). Everyone should be able to enter the career they studied for, and although a four-year bachelor’s degree disappointingly does not always equal a job the student is qualified for, enrolling in a vocational school is more likely to result in securing a job in a specific field of study.

Some people argue that, with a degree from a four-year college, graduates can get better, higher paying jobs. However, an education from a trade school can put outgoing students in jobs that earn a lot more money than most people think. According to a website about online education, there are plenty of high paying jobs that only require training at a vocational school. An electronics engineer, for example, earns around 102,180 dollars a year, and an air traffic controller earns around 125,080 dollars a year (onlineschoolscenter.com). Going to a four-year college is not the only option when it comes to ending up in a high paying job later on; vocational school offers plenty of those jobs.

Though many believe so, a four-year college is not the only place a student can go to ensure a stable and successful future after he/she graduates from high school. Not everyone is suited for a traditional college path, and that’s where vocational schools come in, whether it be because of ideal job choice or tuition cost. Because of these reasons and many more, vocational school is a post-high school option that comes out on top for students who want a career in a trade.