UC High Offers Students New Classes for 2020/21 School Year

Dean Ormsby, Staff Writer

Several new classes will be offered to students at UC High in the 2020-2021 school year in order to diversify the class options for students, as well as prepare for the new state curriculum.

According to Head Counselor Kelsey Bradshaw, a new ninth-grade English class will replace the current English class that is offered to freshmen, and it will be an ethnic studies class. “It incorporates ethnic studies and multiculturalism into the curriculum,” said Bradshaw. 

“An ethnic studies course is going to be required for the class of 2024, so instead of taking the standard English class of the past, students will take Bullets of Truth or a District-created ethnic studies class,” added Bradshaw.

The main motivation for adding this class was to prepare for reformed graduation requirements in the near future. According to Bradshaw, “The state of California is starting to push for it, and they want to make it a High School Graduation requirement, so our district school board jumped on it early.”

Although it is a bit too early to tell how people will feel about the new curriculum for freshmen, the feedback from teachers, parents, and students has been fairly positive so far. According to English Teacher Aaron Pores, “I’d be excited to teach a new course. I’ve taught Ninth Grade English for over ten years, and although I can do lesson plans in my sleep, and this course means more work for me, I’m excited about it just as a change of pace.” 

“I’m also very interested in how we act and interact with our ethnic backgrounds, and how they affect society and the individual,” said Pores. “In today’s divided political climate, forcing conversations around ethnicity is a great idea. It all depends on how the teacher is able to handle it. I trust that our English teachers will rise to the occasion, and hopefully, the district doesn’t mandate anything too wacky,” he added.

Another new class that will be available to students is an Ethnic Studies college class. According to Bradshaw, “As for the new college class, it will be African American Studies for one semester, and Chicano Studies for the second semester. This will be an elective available for eleventh and twelfth graders.”

“What’s nice is that it teaches history, but it looks at it through those different points of view. It looks at culture and how things happened, as well as how certain events impacted their respective communities,” said Bradshaw.

“I fully support the addition of all-new classes for students at UC. Having more options is beneficial to all students, and will only improve the educational experience that we receive,” said Junior Jack O’Donnell.

“In terms of new courses being offered, I worry that the staff will be impacted by having too many new things piled on at once, risking teacher burnout,” added Pores.