UC High Yearbook to Exclude Senior Quotes

Dean Ormsby, Staff Writer

Due to the presence of inappropriate content in previous years, the UC High Yearbook Staff has decided against including any senior quotes in this year’s edition.

“While, there have been more strict rules regarding both the mob shot and quotes, this will be the first year that yearbook will completely omit senior quotes. It was mainly people not following certain guidelines, and taking advantage of the liberties that we gave them,” said Yearbook Editor-in-Chief Sophia Shingle. “When we tried to tell them they couldn’t talk about sex and drugs, they continued to try to get it past us, and we couldn’t allow that anymore,” she added.

“We’ve had issues with senior quotes since I’ve been doing yearbook. This is the sixth year I’ve done yearbook, and the students have always tried to put some nefarious things in the quotes. It takes a long time for myself and the Vice Principal to review them all,” said Yearbook Advisor Elizabeth Frohoff.

In past years, actions were taken in order to prevent inappropriate messages from getting in; however, they were not effective enough. “We’ve been rolling back on senior quotes for years, but this will be the first year that we erase them completely,” said Frohoff. 

“Unfortunately, it always ends up being a few kids who ruin it for everybody else. The majority of the kids write very lovely quotes, or find very lovely quotes. Last year we made students find an authored quote, mostly to cut back on all the inappropriateness. Unfortunately, it was still too much,” Frohoff added. 

According to Frohoff, there will be a substitute for the quotes, which will most likely include a list of all the extracurricular activities that students participated in at school. “It will be kind of like a portfolio listing all the things students did, and it will be under their name,” said Shingle.

“Overall, we’re doing it for our sake as well as the school’s sake,” said Shingle.

“It’s just too much headache for the yearbook staff, for administrators, and we are always on a time crunch at that point in the year, and it’s just not worth it anymore,” Frohoff explained. “We don’t want anything inappropriate to get in the yearbook,” she added.

Frohoff stated, “I would like to do senior quotes, and I would like to do a Mobshot, but if the students are going to trash my character and then continue to push these inappropriate phrases into the yearbook, then I can’t allow that. Yearbooks have become such a historical document, that people go back to their yearbooks, whether they are politicians, or a celebrity, and they find inappropriate stuff in it. I don’t want to have my name on that. It affects my reputation, our students’ reputation, and our school’s reputation. I don’t want to have that issue anymore.”