Top Ten S.D. Boba Places

Miranda Le, Staff Writer

Whether you call it boba, bubble tea, pearl milk tea, or even tapioca balls, this iconic Taiwanese-born drink remains a go-to option and a favorite of many. Luckily, in San Diego, boba spots are everywhere, with endless places to choose from and with endless drink options. From quick boba runs to lengthy study dates, no two boba shops are the same, and not all drinks are created equally. One controversial question leaves boba fans of all ages, and especially students, divided: Where exactly is San Diego’s best boba spot?

10.) Tapioca Express: A classic had to start the list of course. Otherwise known as “Tapex,” this popular franchise has left people divided: people either love it or hate it. Nonetheless, Tapex offers a large variety of drinks, along with snacks like popcorn chicken. 

9.) Boba Bar: The spot, not only for boba but also for “Build your own Puffles” (a bubble waffle cone with ice cream and toppings). Found at Zion Market on Convoy, Boba Bar is great for late night runs and post-grocery shopping refreshments.

8.) ShareTea: A boba franchise veteran that has stood the test of time and with many locations, ShareTea is a great quick boba option for classics like a Hokkaido milk tea or a taro milk tea.

7.) Gong Cha: Newer to SD than most places on the list, Gong Cha’s high-quality tea proves to be a formidable force in the San Diego boba scene. With its milk foam series and creative drinks like lychee oolong, what’s not to love?

6.) Wushiland Boba (OO Tea): Conveniently located at 99 Ranch and another soon to be at UTC Mall, shoppers and their families can grab a quick drink while or after they shop. If you’re bored with regular boba, try ordering Wushiland’s delicious mini boba or grass jelly!

5.) Tea N More: This boba bar is both family and student friendly. Not only are stellar drinks offered, but snacks and meals (ranging from takoyaki to fried rice) are as well. With the midnight/1 a.m closing time, and tables often packed with college students cramming, this spot is optimal for studying.

4.) Camellia Rd. Tea Bar: The shop can often be found full of students studying, whether it be an early afternoon or a late night. From common tea bases like jasmine and oolong to ones that you’ve never heard of such as genmaicha (not to be confused with matcha, also on the menu) and hojicha, the variety of items on the Camellia Road menu makes it stand out from competitors. 

3.) Ding Tea: Available at the La Jolla Renaissance Center (convenient for an after-school pick-me-up!) and Balboa Avenue, Ding Tea is ideal if you’re looking for a fun atmosphere and great drinks. With unique options like crystal boba and Yakult drinks, it’s a no-brainer that Ding Tea is one of the best boba spots in San Diego.

2.) Happy Lemon: With lines extending out the door on weekends and especially at night, this place is definitely a crowd favorite. The signature salted cheese series, slushies, bubble waffles, and a grab-and-go environment ensure that Happy Lemon makes happy customers.

1.) Kung Fu Tea: The “most superior” boba. Kung Fu Tea lives up to its motto of being “fresh, innovative, and fearless.” From classics like green tea to creative options like matcha milk caps and even seasonal drinks like their pumpkin oolong milk tea, this franchise has a drink for every person to enjoy. It also provides an atmosphere fit for grab-and-go orderers, studiers, and lingerers. Kung Fu Tea is second to none… And that’s the tea sis!